Effects of nitrous oxide systems on motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amongst all the information on motor oil, and all the information on nitrous oxide injection out there, I've never really read anything conclusive about how the two get along together. I have read in some forums that nitrous will cause motor oil to become more acidic, whether that is true or not I don't know.

Are there any special considerations in your choice of oil or frequency of oil changes when using nitrous? And why? Has anyone run oil analysis on a nitrous injected motor?

Very curious about this, any thoughts welcome.

Given that it's a nitrogen containing oxidising agent, my (purely guesswork) thoughts would be increased oxidation and nitration and thickening.

Asked a builder about this. he said that if anything the nitrous will create a more efficient burn and should not affect the oil at all.
dunno.gif

My experience with nitrous is that it builds extreme engine heat compared to running naturally aspirated. On a 355 SBC marine engine I saw oil temps climb from 200* to 280* in 13 secs of spraying a 100 wet shot. Those are too hot of temps for an engine and I immediately added a large oil cooler to keeps the temps in check.

I don't see it hurting the oil as long as oil coolers are used to keep the temps in check.

that's in a marine application though. 280* oil temps should be just fine for a synthetic. I'd have to wager OIL temps wouldn't raise that fast on a street driven engine. Although I won't know more until I run some juice this fall, and monitor my Oil temps/.

Would N2O be harsher on the oil in the bearings compared to N/A or FI?

Would 280* be ok for a 30wt synthetic? Doesn't seem like it to me.

280° is nothing for a synthetic in my experience. I have run Mobil 1 0w-20 at that temp and higher for 15+ minute stretches. However, a lot of guessing what could happen because of that is engine dependent. The huge 3" mains of a Ford 351 Windsor probably place different demands on the oil than a sub 2" main on a motorcycle. But for a short blast, I think any good synthetic will do just fine.

Same goes for N/A vs FI vs N2O. How much of each, and on what engine will probably be make just as much difference as which one you chose.

I was under the apparently mistaken impression that N2O adds little heat to engine. I know it pulls a lot of heat out of the intake charge, and I guess I assumed that it would have the same cooling effect on other parts of the engine. 80° from a 13 second blast is a huge jump! I am sure that there is someone here who can do the math and figure out how much energy that is. Think about how long it would take to heat up 6 quarts of oil by 80° on a stove. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back