Maxlife blend 5W30 1997 Jetta 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas i tried searching but the search feature stinks unless im doing something wrong...anyway i want to switch over my wifes jetta to this oil for now, do you think this oil would support 5K oil change intervals? Her car doesnt burn any oil for what i can tell. Oh yea her car only has 80K.

The Amsoil site recommends a 5W-40 grade for your Volkswagen Jetta.

If I recall, Amsoil copies the manufacturer's recommendation.

Amsoil has an excellent 5W-40 and so does Valvoline.

Quote:

The Amsoil site recommends a 5W-40 grade for your Volkswagen Jetta.

If I recall, Amsoil copies the manufacturer's recommendation.

Amsoil has an excellent 5W-40 and so does Valvoline.

Yea although the manual says to use 5W10W30 as well. Thanks for the reply.

If your owner's manual lists several different grades, then it should provide you with a temperature chart. It'll probably say 5W-30 is okay below 68 degrees Fahrenheit.

Quote:

If your owner's manual lists several different grades, then it should provide you with a temperature chart. It'll probably say 5W-30 is okay below 68 degrees Fahrenheit.

The car has seen nothing but 5W10W30 since it was bought although it did see Castrol 0W30 European once.

Sort of OT -
I did a search a wk or two ago to see just how it's been working out for others...I don't remember coming across much if anything for the HM blend. I was at the mart oogling the offerings in the oil section and thought I would give Valvoline a try with my current car. 2 jugs later of 5w-30 later I was looking at V's site and their recommendations, and as I occassionally tow, they rec. the full synthetic. I noticed that Valvoline's viscosity is on the lower end of the 30wt range where Castrol's HM is in the upper end (less shear stable?).

I know I'm splitting hairs, but with should I be making anything of the differences, as also Valv's spec's on the jug are API SM/ACEA A1, where Castrol's has some Volk. specs.???

I really think I'm making myself sick with all this!\

Quote:

Hey fellas i tried searching but the search feature stinks unless im doing something wrong...anyway i want to switch over my wifes jetta to this oil for now, do you think this oil would support 5K oil change intervals? Her car doesnt burn any oil for what i can tell. Oh yea her car only has 80K.

I wouldn't mess with a good thing. I would continue to use whatever's been going into that Jetta.

Leave well-enough alone!!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back