Super-happy w/ Schaeffer's Soy Ultra Gasoline Add.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My 98 Chevy S10 ZR2 has has a very slight shake at idle, for the last 15-20k miles. Occurred through a tune-up, oil changes, other fluid changes, PCV, all the normal PM that one would do as their vehicle went through the 36-50k (ish) mileage duration.

I do drive the truck relatively lightly - I have it for carting bikes, wood, kyaks, and off-roading, it never sees heavy loads, and I burn through gasoline slowly, often the truck sits for a number of weeks at a time between uses.

My impression was that there perhaps was a bit of buildup in the cylinders or valves that was causing funny shake that was intermittent at hot idle. Fuel economy was alwyas exceeding EPA, started and ran strong, never a CEL, etc.

Ive ran gumout regaine (clear bottle), techron (full strength), FP60, FP3000, Amsoil PI (new and old), seafoam, MMO, etc. Since I only rack up a few thousand miles a year, and change the oil once a year, I have ran full cleaning doses before most oil changes and sometimes between, due to my desire to rid the shake. The shake has been there a few years, since I dont get much mileage on it.

Well, I bought some Schaeffer's products. I got soy ultra gasoline additive, amongst other lubes and other additives. Ive run two tanks of gasoline with soy ultra at the standard dose, and during the first tank, I felt the shake much less often and much less notable... now Im on the second tank (been using the truck more recently), and the shake has gone!

Finally, something has worked and my idle is as smooth as silk, and the engine is barely notable sound or motion-wise, at hot idle, just like new.

Definitely try Schaeffer's Soy Ultra Gasoline Additive, if you can get a hold of it!

Best,

JMH

Schaeffer is one of a small number of companies that deliver quality products without alot of noise. All the oils/additives I have used from them exceed expectations.
coffeetime.gif

That's awesome, I wonder if I should try that. My car vibrates/shakes a bit at idle as well, but only after the car's warmed up. I don't know if it's a weak engine mount or something, but i've done all the basic tune-up things and it's still there. New distributor, new spark plugs, new spark plug wires, auto-rx, FP60, tire rotation (although it has nothing to do with idling), new timing belt, water pump, valve adjustment, transmission fluid, fuel filter, you name it, i've probably done it. I've had the timing checked a couple of times and it's been correct, so it's not to do with my timing. I might give this a try though
smile.gif
Couldn't hurt anything I suppose.

Did the other cleaners really have the same chance? I mean two straight tankfuls in a short time?
I'm not knocking the Schaeffer's - I'm glad to hear about it and may use it.

My car "vibrates" at idle...but I suspect it is the .680 lift cam in it
smile.gif

Seriously Schaeffer's makes some seriously great products for sure.....good to hear a real world result.

Generally when I use the truck, I burn through two tankfulls...

FP3000 and FP60, as much as I like them, have had much more of a chance.

Ditto for techron and regaine, since I had multiple bottles.

seafoam is applied differently, so no dice.

JMH

more results... parents got 30 MPG, thats right, 30 MPG on the first tank after adding a full bottle of soy ultra on their trip to chicago. Went back down after that. A fluke? Maybe. but everything else stayed the same.

A friend also reported about 15-20 extra miles per half tankfull of gasoline, since starting to use soy ultra.

Ditto in our integra. We have achieved record fuel economy for highway trips since starting to use soy ultra.

nohing statistically significant yet due to data sample size, but promising more and more all the same!

JMH

Curious about one thing- the cost of this remarkable additive. What dose did you use and how much is it "costing" to use it? Are you making up the cost of this additive by getting better fuel economy? Thanks for sharing your results. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the stuff?

I can't even begin to express how happy I have been with all of Schaeffer's products I have used, including 7000 and 9000 diesel oils, Neutra, Diesel Treat 2000, Soy Shield, Penetro, #274 grease, and chain lube.

I bought Neutra 131 in four 1-gallon jugs. Can't remember exactly the price, but it works out to somewhere around 20 cents an ounce.

I buy my schaeffer's products through site sponsors.

THe cost of the additives is quite good, As I recall, I paid about $84 for a 24*16oz pack. It comes to approximately $0.21/oz. I run the reccomended dosages, less is more.

I did buy neutra before by the gallon bottle. Considering its smell and the difficulty of easily getting it into a dispensing bottle, Im rethinking that now, though I prefer the reduced waste of buying the gallon bottles and refilling the small ones.

I always buy in lots of $300 to avoid shipping costs. Cnsidering that I use plenty of additives amongst our cars, use the schaeffer's 5w-30 oil in my truck, and like their 132 additive in a mix with my LC20, I find it relatively easy to fill up orders.

JMH

I use a fuel injector cleaner once a year (12K). So buying a 24-pk means buying a 24 year supply. I don't see any need to keep the fule injection system lubricated more than once a year. I have never encountered fuel pump problems in my almost 40 years of owning vehicles.

So it sounds like an expensive procedure to just buy three. Too bad we can't find this fine Shaeffers lineup in nearby stores.

bout 2. possibly 3 years.
Soyultra is often an overlooked product in our line-up. Great post. 24 bottles cases is not all that much over time. Not to mention the benefits of usage.

I have no issue running adds at maintenance doses each tank.

We have 9 cars alltogether, and do quite a bit of driving for various reasons. All the cars are inherently economical/fuel efficient for the most part, but the ability to stabilize the fuel between heavy uses on any one is also beneficial.

Is it smart? Is it right? I dont know. I know that we get spotless UOAs on all the cars, and that we easily achieve 200k miles on any car we drive... with minimal issues.

Adds may be one of those things that help, and it may be one of those things that just helps to make you feel good. Onme way or another, its really a minimal extra cost in the big scheme of things, even if it adds $0.60-0.80 to a tankful of gas or diesel.

JMH

What is the actual effect that determines shelf life??? Care to share?

Unless osmthing in there is prone to oxidative destructon or evaporates really quickly, it seems that shelf life would be a very long time, the components can't be that complex, i wouldnt think...

2-3 years isnt bad, but Id guess that it is still good, usable product much longer. (?????) At least with relatively OK characteristics (wont ruin stuff if you still use it).

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back