What is a good oil to run in a Harley Twin Cam 88

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read that vegetable base oils have unsaturation which are very oxidatively unstable. They have freezing problems. So I guess the only true advantage comes form the eco friendly side.
dunno.gif

Quote:

I have read that vegetable base oils have unsaturation which are very oxidatively unstable. They have freezing problems. So I guess the only true advantage comes form the eco friendly side.
dunno.gif

This is the sort of post that makes Terry not only want to quit posting here, but go out in his back yard and blow his brains out.
smirk.gif

G-Man you wouldn't say that if you knew my source.

Since when is Terry divine btw?

Quote:

G-Man you wouldn't say that if you knew my source.

Wanna bet? I'd say it even if Terry were your source and if you thought about it you'd know why.

I'm going to close this thread since it's run its course and it totally off topic now.

Plant-derived oils, such as soy, cottonseed, and corn oil have different levels of C16 and C18 ester chains with varying levels of unsaturation. The unsaturation levels of most vegetable oils render them insufficiently stable to oxygen and high temperatures. It would be desirable to provide vegetable- or animal-derived oils that exhibit high thermal and oxygen stability for use as or in synthetic oils and lubricants.
In one embodiment, the method for making a high temperature and oxidatively stable lubricant from a renewable oil comprises the steps of: flowing a liquid which comprises a renewable oil including unsaturated fatty acids through a high voltage electrical field effective to convert the unsaturated fatty acids into saturated fatty acids; and adding one or more functional additives to the saturated fatty acid-containing renewable oil to form a synthetic lubricant. Examples of functional additives include fluidizing agents, viscosity modifying agents, antiwear agents, fluidizing agents, polymers, antioxidants, detergents, dispersants, corrosion- and oxidation-inhibiting agents, pour point depressing agents, extreme pressure agents, color stabilizers, and anti-foam agents.
The electric field catalyses the partial hydrogenation of the carbon-carbon double bonds (C.dbd.C) in unsaturated fatty acids, e.g., vegetable triglycerides, to form saturated fatty acids. The saturated fatty acids are then usIn one embodiment, the lubricant comprises 80-100% wt. of a base oil, which consists of the saturated fatty acids described herein, and 0-20% wt. of additives to give the lubricant the desired viscometric properties, low temperature behavior, oxidative stability, corrosion protection, demulsibility and water rejection, friction coefficients, lubricities, wear protection, air release, color and other properties.ed as or in a synthetic lubricant product.
pat2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back