Safari question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find where to turn on or off the URL autocompletion option in Safari. It doesn't appear to be in Preferences...

The URL autocomplete function gets its info from History and Bookmarks and has nothing to do with AutoFill. AutoFill is only for address book, names and passwords and other forms.

I've disabled the URL autocomplete function once before, but I can't remember how I did it and I can't find any info on how to do it.

An extensive google search results in finding no solution. Supposedly URL auto-complete cannot be turned off in Safari. I know it's not true, because mine was off until yesterday. Now I get that stupid pulldown menu with a few thousand URLs in it. ACK!

I have to find out how I turned it off!

In the meantime, there is a trick: if I type one empty space before I begin typing a URL, the auto-complete feature will not engage.

mori,

Not sure how the Safari works, but in Windows (IE), for example, you can set the number of days to keep the visited links in History. If you set that number to "0" (and then clear history), it should not keep any history and therefore it should not populate the URL autocomplete box. However, if like you wrote, Safari takes the bookmarks as source for URL autocomplete, then obviously that is not going to work.

It uses bookmarks and history. Not allowing history ("Private Browsing") and not having a a bookmarks folder is of course a solution, albeit an inconvenient one. Who doesn't have bookmarks?

What's bothering me more than the unwanted feature is my inability to remember how I turned it off last year!

You could reset safari, and get rid of all the URLs that you don't desire to be seen
wink.gif

JMH

I'm sticking with typing an empty space before beginning to type a URL. That's tolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back