How do I clean a gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of gun ??
confused.gif

Sorry if I was too vague. I don't come from a gun loving family, my friends aren't shooters and I've discovered sport shooting on my own, so Sometimes it’s hard to know how to ask the right question.

I'm looking for a general site/link, or instructions that will cover handguns and long guns. I currently have a Cooey Model 60 (22 LR) and on Friday I purchased a 9mm CZ-85 Combat. I also expect to be doing some skeet/clay shooting, so I'd like to be able to clean them all.

A factory manual is a good place to start, either a real one, a copy, or these days a pdf file downloaded from somewhere.

Some people don't disassemble and clean .22s and don't seem to have problems, but I prefer to clean all types.

I clean my Glock 19 with dish soap & warm water. No joke. I wouldn't recommend it for a pretty gun, though.

I use some light gun oil on the slide rails after the gun air dries. I don't lube anything else.

wantin150,

I've seen these already, but thanks!

I think I've come to the conclusion that cleaning guns is really a lot easier than I thought. Maybe the perfectionist in me is making things more complicated than necessary.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be smart. There really isn't too much to mess up. As long as you get the crud, lube the proper points, and reassemble properly, you're good to go! And yes, Glocks can be put in the dishwasher!

No apology necessary. I have been ridiculed on other gun sites for the "newbie" question, but I took no offense to your answer.

BTW, Do you use Palmolive? I hear it's soft on hands as you clean pistols!

Cleaning a handgun, rifle or shotgun depends on the weapon-you need to follow what directions there are that came with the gun when it comes to cleaning. Make sure the weapon is unloaded and disassemble only as much as is needed for the cleaning.

The best cleaners I have ever found are MPro7 (or Hoppes Elite) gun cleaner and Blue Wonder. However, good old Hoppes Number 9 or Kleenbore will clean a gun okay. MPro7 gun cleaner and Blue Wonder are expensive and I like to use those cleaners for the gun barrel only. Kleenbore or Hoppes will work okay for the rest of the gun.

The oil I like the best is MPro7 gun oil (or Hoppes Elite gun oil). Other guns oils will also work fine. You need to lube only enough and not overlube. I personally have a bad habit of overlubing and I have to watch that.

A Glock requires very little lube. There are only a few spots on a Glock handgun that really need lube and just a little bit.

Gun grease might be better for a handgun, rifle or shotgun that will be stored for a long time. Some have suggested that gun grease be used for a carry gun as well, since oil will gradually be lost from the weapon. But the carry gun should be lubed with oil before going to the range for qualification.

How much do I need to worry about finger prints?

I picked up my CZ-85 Combat on Monday and I can't stop playing with it! In Canada we need an Authorization To Transport (ATT) certificate before the handgun can be taken to a range. I expect mine in about a week, so in the meantime I can't put any rounds through it, and the finger prints are getting pretty thick.
blush.gif

Quote:

How much do I need to worry about finger prints?...I can't stop playing with it!...the finger prints are getting pretty thick.
blush.gif

I'll bet. Clean them off. Human oils and acids are not good for precious objects. And stop playing with it. You'll go blind.

Quote:

I clean my Glock 19 with dish soap & warm water. No joke. I wouldn't recommend it for a pretty gun, though.

I use some light gun oil on the slide rails after the gun air dries. I don't lube anything else.

I use hot running water and a bronze .45 caliber bore brush on my 9mm barrel to get it spotless. Hot water and a toothbrush on my fully disassembled slide and frame and blow it dry with compressed air. Oil is 75W-140 full synthetic gear oil.

a cz85 a precious object, that's funny
tongue.gif

the best instructions for cleaning are your intelligence and willingness to understand how the mechanisms work and try various lubes to find out what works best.
There are some areas where you can overlube, or use the wrong lube, the main one being the firing pin because it's exposed to hot gas from the round. Too much lube or the wrong lube there can foul it and cause it to gum up.

I happen to like either my rifle grease and/or militec lube on my kimber slide rails.
There's also dry film lubes. I have some smooth kote, graphite i think, and it works ok. Not crazy about CLP, it's an okay solvent for cleaning but i don't prefer it as a lube. Will use it to coat the inside of the barrel for protection. RemOil is great for exterior cleaning, it wipes off dry leaving a very nice finish, I recommend that for getting your fingerprints off your, uuhmm, precious object.

fingerprints ?

This town is home of the Australian SMLE, and a lot of the guys I work with worked at the gun factory.

I'm referred to as a "ruster", a small group of people who can cause fingerprints to appear on just about any metal.

"I'm referred to as a "ruster", a small group of people who can cause fingerprints to appear on just about any metal."

Such people weren't allowed to become tool and die or mold makers, so they sent some to the the insp dept where they could corrode all of the fixtures :^)

Actually it ended up being good for other purposes, as we figured out what lubes to use for storage to deal with the 'acid hand' folk. LPS was initially being used, it didn't work very well, I suggested Breakfree, which worked much better, and after I left the area they evnetually figured out that Eezox worked even better.

Quote:

Where can I find the most thorough instructions on how to clean a gun?

Thanks!

Yuk,

Your best source would be the gun shop from which you bought your rifle/pistol from. BOOKS, magazines will help you out tremendously. One other place is your local library AND of course the manual that came with your pistol.

Durango
usa2.gif

Quote:

I'm referred to as a "ruster", a small group of people who can cause fingerprints to appear on just about any metal.

At my previous job we refered to that affliction as "pisshands."

on topic, go talk to your local gun dealer. most of the ones I've been to have no problems helping out new guys and making some new sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back