Lucas in 01M volkswagen automatic tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does somebody ever try to add a full bottle (0.7liter) of Lucas stopleak additive in a Volkswagen 01M automatic transmission?
I have been told that is excellent to cure problem when tranny is hot....(it gets the oil thicker....)
Re: My 01M tranny works fine when cold but not when hot...
I am waiting for your comments...Thanks again

Start by flushing the ATF with a quality equivalent fluid.

If that doesn't help, install a cooler.

I did flush the tranny with the very costly Audi/VW ATF,it help a bit but not enough......(3 liters in a 5 liters tranny).Add a cooler...find...but there is no access to do that in a 01M tranny !
Thanks for your assistance

3 out of 5 quarts is not a flush. Thats a partial change. Since its partial, do it again and again.

Transmissions don't last forever. If you don't have regular maintenance over its life(how old? how many miles), the odds are that you need a rebuild. So, at your next partial drain/refill, use a bottle of lubegard platinum. If that doesn't help in 5k miles, do a final drain/refill and toss in the lucas. Then, save your money for a rebuild.

If you have over 60k miles on the unit, and you have no previous maintenance, you have a broken transmission.

Thanks for your help....My tranny has 212000 miles...but has been rebuilt at 140000 miles !
I did a filter and 3 oil changes at 200000 miles (3 liters out of 5 3 times in a row,with a good synthetic ATF but not the $28/liter Audi VW atf........
This time I did with the Audi/VW atf......
If my transmission is broken,why should it work fine when cold?

Thats the nature of the beast.

Also, could also be 'other failures'. This would require professional debug and it helps if you have a factory service maual. Solenoids, rpm/speed sensors, and even wiring resistance could cause similar problems.

Excessive ATF level as tranny warms up could cause aeration of the fluid dropping line pressure.
Low ATF could starve the transmission of fluid flow when hot.
Varnish can cause binding of components as they expand and warm up.
A run with lubegard will do some cleaning. Hopefully, your issue is caused by varnish buildup. Lubegard will also help with tired seals. A little ester might do some good.
Since the original AT only lasted 140k, you might've just reached the end of life on a 'shady' rebuild.
The time to maintain a transmission is when it is new and functioning perfectly. Starting a maintenance program after issues occurs doesn't guarantee success. IMO, you can only beat a dead horse for so long.

I also wouldn't waste any money on the OEM ATF. Any of the multivehicle/universal ATFs would work well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back