amsoil vs royal purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
both companies have them vs all others but i have yet to see them vs each other. are there any test with them head to head?

The 4-Ball Wear Test is the only one I've seen against the automotive oils, 20w-50 is the only one I've seen.
tro_4ball_2006_500px.jpg

Amsoil published motorcycle oil testing which had multiple tests run on it, but it's against the Royal Purple and Amsoil motorcycle oils. It can be found at http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf.

That test has no relevance to how well an oil performs in an actual engine.

Quote:

That test has no relevance to how well an oil performs in an actual engine.

I totally agree but I know for a fact based on 3 friends who use Amsoil that it is better than RP. I am tlking about Amsoil users who have run it over 800,000 miles in several vehicles. The only Amsoil product I question is their ATF. RP is now on the shelf at China Mart at $6+ so what is the big value to RP??

I think Amsoil is better than RP so I agree with you there. I just don't like that test.

Just to clarify, I know buster wasn't ragging on me about my post, but I agree that the 4-Ball Wear Test doesn't have much, if any, relevancy to engine wear. I was merely showing these tests as the original poster wanted to know if there were any tests performed.

If money was no object I would use both of them with confidence. I know a Cummins owner that runs the RP 15/40 for 18-20K miles with great wear numbers and Amsoil can do the same. The Schaeffer products are a super buy in oils. Even the $1 qt dino oils are showing such good results it is amazing. Take your pick and change it with regularity and none of your engines will ever have an oil -related failure.

Quote:

Wouldn't straight chlorine bleach beat all of those oils in the 4 ball wear test?

No. Not sure why people always parrot that. Prell too. Sure the 4-ball test is not really like a running engine. (point contact) And It's not super repeatable.

I have NEVER seen any comparison of the two oils that would stand up to scrutiny. Would love it, though. I have NO experience with RP. Amsoil has stood up to my standards. Obviously, or I wouldn't be a dealer.

We have a Timken tester similar to 4-ball tester. Bleach does not I repeat not work better than oil. I'd love to know who started this #@$%!. And please provide the data that shows 4-ball has nothing to do with engine wear.

A voice of reason on Royal Purple? Is this possible?

Quote:

If money was no object I would use both of them with confidence. I know a Cummins owner that runs the RP 15/40 for 18-20K miles with great wear numbers and Amsoil can do the same. The Schaeffer products are a super buy in oils. Even the $1 qt dino oils are showing such good results it is amazing. Take your pick and change it with regularity and none of your engines will ever have an oil -related failure.

I have been doing 18-19000 miles oil changes with RP 5/30, even though it is a common rail diesel. It uses 1/2 a quart in 18000 miles. Have done this almost 100000 miles now. I guess I am just lucky that my engine hasn't blown up yet. However, I must mention that I have done a Auto-Rx threatment when the car had done some 60000 miles. Also, I did use a maintenance dose, at least two times.

Sprintman, I aggree with you in regard to the Timken testing. Most people say this hasn't anything to do with the conditions in an engine. That's true, most of the time. But, if these timken-conditions show up, or even close to them for some reason, it is good to know that the engine will be protected. I guess we all remember how good RP performed in the Timken testing, done by the Australian magazine Street Commodores. Of course it is very convenient to just say it has nothing to do with real life, but it should be backed with some proof, as well as an explanation why it is so. I guess Amsoil would have done well in this test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back