Jig-A-Loo Lubricant/Water Repellant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen it around. Couldnt help but wonder why they couldnt think of a better name than one-letter-off-from Jigaboo? sheez, thats so blatent. Better blatent than subtle though

Indeed- appallingly, blatantly offensive- reminds me of the name of a certain fishing lure sold many years ago.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???

I've never heard that term used in Canada (in fact I had to look it up), and probably less so in Quebec, where the product comes from.

It's probably just a case of cultural differences, like FAG Bearings.

Quote:

I've never heard that term used in Canada (in fact I had to look it up), and probably less so in Quebec, where the product comes from.

It's probably just a case of cultural differences, like FAG Bearings.

And Mypee shampoo in Japan (saw it several years ago on TV).

hows this for blatent one-off words?

bigger
digger
rigger
tigger

squishy was right on when he mentioned cultural differences, and it just goes to show the arrogance, conceit, or self esteem that's either present of lacking of some people, along with intelligence.
just like that guy who used the word niggardly in a press conference, google that and look up it's definition.
I heard the jigaloo ad over the speaker and walmart and laughed to myself, because you know everybody is thinking, did they say jigaboo repellent, I wonder how that works?
laugh.gif

what was the fishing lure?

jigaloo sounds like wd-40.
with people's intelligence these days, they'd probably do better if they called it wd-41.

saw the display yesterday at wallyworld.
i wasnt the only one stopping for a second look and laughing.
maybe their intent?

I have used it. It works great for taking tree sap off your car. I also used it on my trailer hitches and trailer to keep them from rusting. Stuff works well. Spray on and it drys in a short time. Does not collect dirt or dust.

Quote:

hows this for blatent one-off words?

bigger
digger
rigger
tigger

squishy was right on when he mentioned cultural differences, and it just goes to show the arrogance, conceit, or self esteem that's either present of lacking of some people, along with intelligence.
just like that guy who used the word niggardly in a press conference, google that and look up it's definition.
I heard the jigaloo ad over the speaker and walmart and laughed to myself, because you know everybody is thinking, did they say jigaboo repellent, I wonder how that works?
laugh.gif

what was the fishing lure?

jigaloo sounds like wd-40.
with people's intelligence these days, they'd probably do better if they called it wd-41.

I demand Nabisco remove the racist slur "cracker" from all boxes of crackers. I am offended by this blatant hate crime. Oh, wait...I'm white I cannot get everything I whine about.
twocents.gif

BUMP

I picked some of this up last week. I've been using it here and there and figured I'd post some observations.

As a penetrating oil, it's pretty good, at least as good as WD-40, break free and MMO. Doesn't seem quite as strong as PB, but close enough for most applications.

It smells better than most pen lubes, quite citrusy at first. However, there's a strong chemical after-smell that I find kind of hideous.

If you get some on your skin, it actually kind of dries up and burns, unlike WD-40 that keeps your skin sort of oily.

It's a good lube for metals and plastic. Like I said, it dries pretty quickly but leaves a noticeable film that doesn't go away as quick as WD-40. I've used it on the barrel of my 20 gauge and it's left a good moisture-proof coating. I don't trust it enough around the innards yet so I don't know how well it doubles as gun oil.

As for moisture and water diplacement, this stuff kicks WD-40's butt hands down. Spray it on a wet sheet of tin and the water just starts instantly evaporating. I was curious so I tried the same exact thing with WD-40 and it seems that the water kind of mixed in with the WD and formed this oily mess. No evaporative qualities that I could see. I know that's not a very scientific experiment but it kind of impressed me.

For a degreaser, it seems stronger than WD-40 but not on par with a dedicated degreaser like Gunk. I used it on one side of my transmission pan to loosen up the old gasket crud and it did a capable job. On the other side I used a generic engine degreaser and it did the same thing, just much quicker.

I usually detail my engine with WD-40 after degreasing, and let me say Jig-A-Loo does this much better. It leaves a non-oily coat on the motor and really shines my hoses and plastic. It has not attracted the dust that WD-40 does and leaves the rubber looking nice and new (it's a silicone based formula).

The major success I've had with Jig-a-Loo is as a tar/bug and tree sap remover. Spray it on and let it absorb into the sap or tar and it comes off very easily. In fact, I had two spots on my Buick that I had given up on and this outperformed any sap or tar remover I've ever tried.

So, my verdict is very favorable. This is better than most any WD-40 clone I've ever tried. I still like Marvel Mystery Penetrating Oil ( NOT regular MMO, there's a difference) as a penetrating solvent/ general lube. I still like WD-40 for removing price tags/stickers from various surfaces. But JAL is a good product overall. I just really hate that strong chemical after-smell.

Right now their website offers a full rebate up till December this year, so if some of you were putting off picking this stuff up now might be the time to give it a try.

I have used it.

If you need a penetrating oil, buy a specially designed penetrating oil. Jigaloo isn't all that powerful.

However, if you just need to stop stuff from squeeking or rusting, and hate the smell of other products, Jigaloo isn't bad.

From their Web site:

“Jig” is a variation on the first part of the expression that happens to include the notion of what we do when something sticks – we try to jiggle it. And “Loo” is a reference to the product’s principal purpose as a lubricant. In Canada, the name is well known and the product is recognized for its consistent results and uncommon versatility. In a word, Jig-A-Loo has become a part of consumers’ everyday language.

The Jig-A-Loo brand name stands for one simple thing: a great, fun household product.

John

Just finished that first can, kind of p o'd that once it got down to a quarter of a can it refused to spray. You can tell that it's still about a quarter full but it just trickles out erratically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back