Went from Havoline 5w-20 to Delo 30....wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah...I was actually liking the Havoline 20, but was getting up to 5000 miles and have so much Delo 30 here, I thought I'd give it a shot as a flush before going with GC for this summer.

First, the engine cranked slower, about 60f. I took warm-up slow but never really could get that warmed feeling and the low end was crazy bogging. Although I think the car is just as fast, it feels slower probally because it is a bunch quieter. Mpg is not too bad right now, I will watch it closely. I did this mostly to flush clean for a long run of GC, but now I have doubts. I did this same cycle with the same car last year and literally dumped the Delo in a day. When I put in the GC it felt lighter, although both oils are 12cSt. I want to get to 500 miles on the Delo. My GG is 5 years old now, and I just want to use it up. It's wierd, when people say they can feel the difference between oils, they can.

Yep. Mine idles faster and smoother with 5w-20 compared to 10w-30. Folks said it was the gas but I was still on the same tank.

Dude, what car are you running this stuff in? Delo is a heavy duty service oil designed for diesel trucks etc. If your car cranks slower, your running to thick of an oil.

I can see the next thread already. . . "Delo 30 wore my starter out". . .
laugh.gif

I cashed in on that SAE30 sale too. I use it in my '92 Wrangler trail Jeep. I run GTX 5W30 in winter and switch to the Delo for summer use. I didn't perceive any difference in cranking or drivability and the oil pressure came up normally. My Jeep likes it and IMO it protects my engine better at the sustained RPM it sees due to the transmission and axle gears (like your lawn tractor
laugh.gif
)

Yeah, it bogs the heck out of my Acura 2.0. I'm not worried about the starter. I'm actually thinking not to go with the GC now. Mom is looking at a new VW, so it will get used., It's just not ideal for the Honda engine when I have PP and Havoline synth here, along with all the Mobil 1 0w-30 I want. Who nows, I just don't want to use the GC when it's worth saving and another oil might work better. All I know for sure is the SAE 30 is too thick, although it does work nice in other apps.

I don't buy oil weights that are way beyond what I should use. I passed on that 99 cent a gallon Delo sale a couple of years ago. Heck, I even passed on Murray's Auto Parts 10-40 Pennzoil six quart container sale for $5 a couple of years ago.

Update:
The Delo 30 is actually behaving better now. After 500 miles, it ~seems~ to be lighter. Maybe it's shearing, but more likely it's some FM additves kicking-in. I seriously doubt it's JUST my perception getting used to it, because mid-range rpm was absolutely stiffiled and it's pretty darn normal now and SUPER quiet on the road. I actually like it and will put my money where my mouth is and keep it in for a while. I also decided to go with the GC later this summer.

Delo 30 is pretty thick: 12 cst. Comparing some of the "new breed" 30 weights, like Havoline DS at 9.7 cst, there is a difference. I'm currently running a 20% blend of M1 10-30 in Delo, and feel no difference between it, and my usual choice of Havoline conventional. Next time, I'm going to cut it back some with 50% Havoline 5w20. I had 50 gallons of Delo, but I'm working through it, and am down to 35. It's listed in the FS section because I need the room!

Don't waste that oil and dump it. Sounds like you maintain alot of vehicles, but not vehicle to use it in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back