Got a cell call from Amsoil today - ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Esters - only small amount. Are you worried about leaks or eating of materials? I wouldn't use the new low vis. ATF's in MT's anyway.

Ester base stocks (even small percentages) do NOT get along very well with cellulose composite blocker rings. Some of the Synchromesh fluids shear down even quicker than the ATFs (despite starting at a higher cSt) in this gearbox.

When using PAO as a base you pretty much have to have some amount of Ester in there for a number of reasons.
Bear in mind that there are a number of Esters.

Some companies do quote the data (or some of it) and some don't. However, if there is a license number associated with the product at least the purchaser knows that it's been tested at an independent lab and that the results have been reviewed and approved by either Ford or GM or whoever had a similar system of approval. So there is some reassurance that the claims are genuine. Without the approval, no-one knows.

I got home and read through GMN10060. I didn't see anything about base fluid restriction either. I'm calling him back tomorrow. Maybe he was trying to tell me that nothing less than a Group II/III would pass - but I would have picked up on that. I'm betting THAT Afton additive system has some issues with solubility in PAO....and that would explain the other bit as well.

Alright Pablo, instruct us on how to get the "high ranking" Amsoil official to give one of us peeps a phone call and similar info.

grin.gif

I don't doubt that Amsoil is a quality ATF--probably better than Dexron VI.

That said, I don't know if Amsoil is SUBSTANTIALLY better than Dexron VI, so to warrant its high cost.

If I am not mistaken, isn't Mobil 1 ATF just as good as Amsoil (similar add pack, similar base oils) and for a few dollars a quart cheaper? Why pay more when Mobil 1 ATF is just as good?

If the Afton add pack has solubility issues with PAO, then wouldn't the bottle need a warning about mixing with non-DexVI or at least with some synthetic DexIIIs.

Off topic, but within thread:

As for esters and PAO, if you use alkylated naphthalenes and/or a group I as solving agents do you still REQUIRE esters for a PAO based fluid?

Quote:

If the Afton add pack has solubility issues with PAO, then wouldn't the bottle need a warning about mixing with non-DexVI or at least with some synthetic DexIIIs.

Off topic, but within thread:

As for esters and PAO, if you use alkylated naphthalenes and/or a group I as solving agents do you still REQUIRE esters for a PAO based fluid?

1) No because it doesn't take much GrpII to bring additives in full solution. However, I don't think this is the real reason. Probably something more mundane like the particular add pack has not been tested with some base oil or group of base oils.

2) Yes for seal conditioning.

Quote:

Esters - only small amount. Are you worried about leaks or eating of materials? I wouldn't use the new low vis. ATF's in MT's anyway.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I'm running Amsoil ATF in the 6 speed manual transmission of the truck in my signature below. Is that a bad idea and if so why?

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I'm running Amsoil ATF in the 6 speed manual transmission of the truck in my signature below. Is that a bad idea and if so why?

Not going to hurt anything short term. How does it shift?

My comment was more directed at the under 6.0 cSt fluids. Amsoil ATF is 6.8. I would recommend next change to go with Amsoil ATD at 7.4 or MTF at 9.6 for hot climates.

When the call comes in to say that Amsoil Universal ATF is recommended for uses that specify "WS" ATF fluid, give me a call. All the new Toyotas with automatics specifiy this fluid. A very large and ever growing market!

It made it shift a lot smoother. I was amazed at the difference it made to be honest. From the factory shifts had some resistance and "stickyness" too them which has disppeared. It almost feels loose, like a broken in transmission with many hundreds of thousands of miles, and shifts fall into place with practically no resistance at all. I'm a little worried the oil may be a tad bit too thin to be honest but I dunno maybe it's just that the amsoil is so much better than the mopar syns. It sure does shift easy. I like it. I think I'm just gonna be a guniea (sp) pig and see what happens with the ATF from here on out
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back