Just found out my .22 is worth something!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old Iver Johnson .22 Carbine (replica of the M-1) that I got back in the 80's as a kid. Just found out my $100 Wal-Mart gun is going for as much as $300. I've always loved this little rifle. Squirrels ran in fear when I had my 4x Tasco scope affixed.
laugh.gif

Add Coot to squirrels when human is prancing around with firearm.

Coot not the trusting sort.

Hang on to it and keep her wipd down. Pass it to your kids... Wish I had one myself... WarDawg

Man, memories. I had such promise of becoming a bona fide gun nut but never took the time to get hunter's safety and fell out of hunting after I got into college. When I get more disposable income, and junior comes of age, I think I'll take it back up....

Anyone wanna show me how to gut a whitetail?
blush.gif

Ah, but I hate those types that jam venison down your throat trying to prove how good it tastes....
laugh.gif

Anyway, yeah, fun little .22. Doesn't seem to care for Federal rounds but.....

"Anyone wanna show me how to gut a whitetail?"

Don't worry about gutting it, just call it hillbilly haggis and enjoy.

No thanks. Although, everyone I know who's tried haggis likes it......

Maybe I'll just buy a boat and take up fishing.....Wait, I can't clean fish either! Oh, and I don't like to eat fish....Man, I'm pathetic....and living in "Sportsman's Paradise" to boot....

....and don't even care for crawfish.....

BWC, I just had a similar experience. Took the 1964 era Western Auto stamped Marlin manufactured old model 60 clone out of the closet, cleaned it up, refinished the stock, and it can run 18 rounds of 22lr in a hurry. This was a rifle handed down to my wife after her folks passed on. Then I did the same to a 1960'ish Mossberg single shot handed down to me and likewise stored improperly for years. Still a great armadillo and possum eliminator. Value on either less than $100 for either but they aren't going anywhere. Along with my wife's early 70's Winchester 20 ga semiauto she used to harvest mistletoe early in our marriage
shocked.gif
we are almost ready for another Katrina type aftermath. Amazing what some Hoppes #9, Rem Oil, and a little time can do!

I inherited a belgian made Browning pump action .22 from my grandfather. He bought it when he was around 20 years old during the great depression, and I think he told me he paid $13 for it. This was a pretty penny in that time, and it cost $5 more than a single shot model (I could be wrong about these exact amounts).

He had a trap-line on the family farm, and while he was cross-country skiing that line, he would pick-off muskrats as targets of opportunity. Based on the bounty paid for muskrat pelts, he had paid for the gun in about 2 months, and he said the extra $5 for the pump action paid for itself in second or third-shot hits in about 3 weeks.

This gun still shoots straight on the iron sights and functions flawlessly on anything from .22 short to long. I took it by the gun shop because the guy wanted to see it, and he offered me $400 for it. I'd never sell it given the sentimental value, but I found it interesting that this old $13 .22 could be worth that much to him.

Hmm, if the Iver Johnson .22 is worth this much, I wonder what that 1863 Sharps my wife inherited is worth?

j/k....let's just say it's worth a bit more than the .22.
cool.gif

How's the best way to get a close value estimate?

I have a couple Winchesters - One is a .22 lever action classic limited collectors edition 9422 – any idea how much this is worth?

Guns are usually worth about half what the owner thinks it is worth.

Common guns like the ones being discussed in this post are not worth much unless they are in new unfired condition.

I don't think it's worth anything. As I said, I read it was worth as much as $300. I don't plan on running down to the gun show anytime soon. Just posting a bit of trivia. FYI seems one key indicator of value seems whether or not the the rear sight is still intact and not stripped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back