95 Chev Lumina / REAR MAIN SEAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be forewarned, though, that the oil pump drive can be a bit of a ba$tard to remove... and there's a trick to installing it.

The o-ring can hang up- I've removed them by clamping vice-grips on them and prying up. Also have driven a screwdriver under and pried- it'll make a burr that you have to file off.

When you go to reinstall it, put a little grease on the o-ring and in the hole. The hexagonal oil pump drive shaft may or may not realign properly when you reinstall the drive- if not, you have two options.

If you're feeling brave, unplug the wires to the coil packs, have a buddy bump the starter a few times while you gently push down on the drive. It'll drop into place when things line up.

If you're feeling patient, then you can keep re-trying to install the drive in different positions (one gear-tooth at a time) until the hexagonal shaft lines up. Usually takes a few attempts.

Either way- that hex shaft might come out with the drive, or it might stay with the pump... I've had them do both. If it stays with the pump... then no worries. If it comes out with the drive, then make sure it's firmly inserted (squish it in there with some grease if neccesary) so that it doesn't fall out as you install the drive.

Good advice. I guess I could have explained it all more. Definately not saying they don't, but by chance I've never actually had one come out with the hex shaft.

Also, I've pried them out using two screwdrivers, each wrapped in a towel. Never created a burr, no problems at all.

I had the same oil leak on a 94 lumina, and someone here had picture and a step by step on the repair, really made it easy for me. should be able to do a search and find it. I remember on trick was to buy new throttle body coolant hose and not waste time trying to save the old ones. good luck

I've taken the throttle body on my 1997 Monte off at least 3 or 4 times, and always reused the old hoses without a problem.
dunno.gif

You will need a new TB gasket however (although I reused one last time, probably not the best idea in the world).

Wow, the pictures of the oil pump drive that the guy shows on his site look like that motor could use an Auto-RX'ing. I've pulled out a dirty one or two, but on my '97 it was shiny clean metal, even with 191K miles (at the time).

I've been told that a distributor gasket for a small block chevy will fit under these drives for an additional leak barrier. Never tried it, myself- but I might look into it when I get around to putting that new and improved GM o-ring in the ol' Corsica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back