Options other than GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 BMW 530i and have been using GC which I believe works very well in this engine. Since it appears GC is disappearing, I'm thinking about my other options such as BMW 5W-30, Mobil 0W-40, Synpower 5W-40. I don't really want to mail order motor oil. I'm also interested in considering PP 5W-30 European Ultra Formula. I haven't seen this in a few places, but have not been aggressive about looking either. I want to continue meeting the BMW LL-01 spec. Any thoughts about the PP Euro Ultra or my other options? Thanks.

If I didn't have the GC stash, I would be using the BMW 5W-30 in the 330. Previous owner had it in the sump for a bit over 13K and the UOA came back excellent. Plus, you can usually get it cheaper than the others mentioned (well maybe not the Synpower) and even cheaper if you use the CCA discount. Not a member? Sign up, the Roundel mag is worth the price of admission.

I was prepared to switch to GC just as it was discontinued. Now I'm thinking of Elf Excellium Full Tech 0w30, Motul E-Tech 0w40 or the soon to be released Motul X-Lite (not E-Tech Lite) 0w30.

turbofrogperformance.com appears to be a good source. Why not mail order? For $8 shipping on 5 liters, you save the sales tax and cost of driving around NOT finding GC...

Most people here have had excellent results with M1 0W-40.

Yes it shears a tad, but then it starts life slightly thicker than GC so this isn't a bad thing. Based on my back to back UOA's in a Ford Duratec engine, the two perform very similarly in engine protection = what matters most.

Quote:

I'm also interested in considering PP 5W-30 European Ultra Formula.

I thought it was PP 5w-40, no?

Anyway, there's plenty of GC around the local AZ stores here, so I'll keep using it until I can. Apart from that, the BMW Castrol 5w-30 should be a safe bet. I would also consider Amsoil 5w-40 Euro if I could find a local distributor.

Was there some talk of BMW switching oil suppliers? As far as I know, the BMW-Castrol relationship continues, although now that the TXT Softec 5w-30 (the presumed BMW 5w-30 oil) is no longer available, who knows? Maybe now it's the Edge 5w-30. And maybe it's the same oil in a new bottle...

The parts guy didn't know, but that really isn't a surprise.

Was more curious than implying they had changed suppliers.

It's possible that American Castrol "AC 0W-30" will appear after all the stores are cleaned-out of their old stock. This may just be a cost-cutting move to save on importing it here from Germany.

BMW synthetic 5W-30 has always been a Castrol product.

Prior to the big tie up with Castrol, the synthetic product was a 5W-40 purportedly made by Valvoline.

This pertains to the U.S., where BMW carries only one grade each of dino and synthetic.

there is a chevron delo synthetic 0w30 that has decent looking "specs" in the product information. I found a local chevron dealer that can get it for me... I'm considering it as an alternative to GC.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a couple of oil changes to go with GC. I might try the BMW synthetic oil next. There were no comments about PP European Ultra 5W-30. I guess it may be unavailable in the U.S (?)

Excluding the most commonly used grades, PP's distribution is very poor.

The Euro 5W-30/40 can sometimes be found at an indie store, or at a Jiffy Lube.

Pep Boys is the big SOPUS distributor among the large auto chains, but even they don't stock the Euro grades. However, they do have the PP 0W-20 and even a 15W-50 whose existence Pennzoil won't acknowledge.

Quote:

However, they do have the PP 0W-20...

You found PP 0W-20 at a Pep Boys? Great!

Now, just tell us where "under the hood" is geographically located so we can visit the Pep Boys in that locale should our travels take us anywhere near there.
grin.gif

I still contend that Mobil 1 0W-40 is one of the best widely available oils for European vehicles in the U.S. Yes, it does shear some but not continuously and holds up well for 10,000 miles even in turbo applications.

Why not Maxlife Synthetic 5W-30 (has all the BMW approvals that GC did)...

also lubro moly 5W-40 or 0W-40....both are excellent oils and very comparable to GC....
Auto Zone and Napa both carry a full line of Lubro Moly...

also quickparts.com has great deals on LM.

Quote:

Why not Maxlife Synthetic 5W-30 (has all the BMW approvals that GC did)...

also lubro moly 5W-40 or 0W-40....both are excellent oils and very comparable to GC....
Auto Zone and Napa both carry a full line of Lubro Moly...

also quickparts.com has great deals on LM.

I think its partsquick.com, not quickparts.com

I agree that the Maxlife Synthetic 5W-30 does look like a great oil. It meets the A3 and the LL-01 spec plus it contains extra additives to keep things clean and seals conditioned. Also it is fairly widely available. I can find the 5 quart jug and the quart bottles at the local Wal-Mart.

Another oil I came across is Pentosin Pentospeed 0W-30. On paper this oil looks almost identical to GC. I just purchased a 5 litre bottle and 3 individual litres for around $55 with free shipping from partsquick.com I am planning on doing some analysis on this oil in my 01 BMW 325i and I will post it in the oil analysis section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back