Gun Safe Electronic Lock... Yea or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to purchase a gun safe. Nosler has a nice one on sale, but it comes with an electronic lock. I'm thinking that the tried and true mechanical lock is the better way to go. If not the Nosler(made by Cannon), a Cannon or Browning with a mechnical lock are on my short list. Thoughts?

Ed

I hate electronics on anything !!! just my opinion .I would guess if it dosen't fail would it be quicker to open?

I mulled over it also..

I decided to get a smaller safe $40 to put the defensive guns in for the wife and I.

i spin a lot of s&g's, both mechanical and electronic.
if you want a pretty safe and like the look of the electronic lock then that's pretty much the only reason to get one.
Not sure how they incorporate the electronic locks on the safes you're looking at. If it requires a battery to work, then it's kinda stupid. The ones I come across generate their own power when you spin them. But considering the lock's purpose, a mechanical lock is much more durable and reliable. All you'd have to do is smash the lcd readout of an electronic lock, or smash the keypad, or if there's a fire and it cooks the circuit board, it's done. A traditional mechanical s&g lock will take anything and everything and you really can't deface it. For those reasons I'd go with a traditional mechanical lock, if you want the best protection and best reliability durability. And they usually cost less.

also meant to say the lock's purpose is not only to keep people out but to always let you in, quickly and easily. Electronic locks can be quickier in that respect, if it's a simple keypad and you just punch 4 or 5 numbers. But you have to weight the risk of it failing due to battery power or being purposely damaged. The time you need to get into your safe right away will be the time the battery is dead or the keypad has a problem (murphy's law)

My Fort Knox safe has a S&G Keypad lock. Before my latest safe I had a S&G mech lock in my other safe(for about 10 years)

In the 8 years that I have had the S&G Keypad, I've had zero issues. It takes two 9 volt batteries and I've replaced them once (last year) only because I thought that they should have been getting weak. (They were not, but replaced them anyway)

I'd go again with the S&G Keypad.
thumbsup.gif
It's a lot quicker and easier to use and the locking pin is the same as far as the safe door is concerned.

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

I've used both and a mechanical can be as fast an electronic if you practice with your combo. One item to consider is having the dial well lit so you can access the safe in the dark. I have been considering storing a LED headlamp above the safe at all times.

Well, in case anybody gives a rats behind... I ended up purchasing a Fort Knox Guardian with the S&G electronic lock.

I talked extensively with the local dealer (28 years of selling safes) and he has seen no downsides to the electronic locks. Here's his take: They make the safe much easier to access, which with any luck is all that it will ever be asked to do. They are actually more tamper resistant and secure than a mechanical lock. Neither type will work after a fire. The safe is toast(pardon the pun) anyway. It will need to be opened by a professional and then will need to be replaced.
Replacement is part of the Fort Knox warrantee.
banana.gif

I have a very low monetary value, but highly effective 12Ga that that can be accessed nearly instantly, so there will be no need to access the safe in an "emergency" situation. I don't have to worry about children accessing he gun, and I lock the room it is in when I have company.

Ed

I have had my Heritage safe for 5 years now and the electronic lock has been flawless. Fast to access and easy to use. I hate turning a dial, takes too long. I have only replaced the 9V battery once, but am going to today just for good measure!

I bought a cheap DIEBOLD electronic safe for around 20 bucks at Wally World. It has numerical PIN access. I set it the same as our ATM PIN number so my wife can remember it quick.

It holds my Glock 23 and Walther P22 just fine.

The thing was beeping,like a fire alarm,meaning the 9 volt battery was getting low.I installed a new battery and then attempted to open the safe to check on things and nothing happened.Tried another new battery..nothing.I have a $1000 S&W .45 pistol in that thing.Kept on trying and it finally opened.Removed my gun and kept playing with it.Couldn't open it again so now it's junk.Can't trust it even if I send it away to get repaired.Went back to the old fashioned lock and key method.

I had a friend that has considerable trouble with his electronic lock when new. Also had trouble getting someone to come out and diagnose and repair it since he lives and hour away from any locksmiths that the company used for warranty work. They finally replaced the unit and has had not trouble since. I have the old S&G dial. As long as I pay attention to what I'm doing I have no trouble and can get in pretty fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back