Cleveland Performance Oil - advice???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Redline 50W Racing in my road/race 351 Cleveland. We'll be starting up my rebuilt engine this week, but I've been getting conflicting advice from different experts on which oil is best. I've had typical oiling issues on this engine (two rebuilds back to back), but these dramas should be sorted now hopefully!!

Any advice on which direction to go on oil weight choice much appreciated.

Engine is probably a mild 350hp, races run for maybe 20mins, revs max 6000rpm. Car does some road miles too.

tight clearence new motors do not need 50wt tighten it up and run RL 5/20 or 5/30. Think Clveland mootors need the resistrictor bushing in the crank shaft saddle to slow/redirect oil to back to the mains and rods
bruce
bruce

I used to run M1 15w and 5W-50 in a mild Clevo for years with never an (apparent) problem, although it wouldn't be my first choice oil now. (I'd actually use Delvac 1, Delvac MX Super or Delo 400 these days, or if racing, Redline or Neo)
As Bruce suggested, if you've tightened up clearances, go down in viscosity.

for our NA friends, Clevelands, both in 302 and 351 cu in 2V versions, (4V also available early/mid seventies) were in production in Oz till the early/mid eighties.

Bet you most engine builders out here would tell you 20w 50 and I would bet there are a heap that have been telling you to run Penrite HPR 30 (20w 60) Right???????

I know a guy that built one for a Racing Boat, IT was a super tuff Clevo, and he only ever used Valvoline 20w 50 XLD. They changed the oil after every meeting and once a year did a Rings and Bearing change and the ware on the bearings was notihing. They came out as good as they went in.

Well if it was me, I'd run the Caltex Delo 400.

Quote:

I know a guy that built one for a Racing Boat, IT was a super tuff Clevo, and he only ever used Valvoline 20w 50 XLD.

Was this in a Jet Sprint boat?? For the uninitiated, this is like a high powered super special rally stage, only on water!!
crazy.gif

I know it was some sort of flat bottom thing. It made big power and reved hard, and just used 20w 50 MIneral oil.

kiwi Bruce381 knows his Clevo's as do I. I had an ex Bathurst 500 GTHO Phase III with Alan Moffatt Ford works motor for a while till it was stolen. Several engine rebuilds due to oiling problems. Oiling the upper end of an engine before the mains/rods wasn't such a bright idea from my Ford friends but there are fixes. A bit off topic but humour me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back