Fleetgaurd LF-777 bypass filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search and found one thread that mention maybe a 5 micron rating. I've seen these filters for 20+ years on Cummins diesel engines. Is this filter a viable prospect for a passenger car gasoline engine?

Comments/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks...

I get the LF-750 and convert it to submicronic. The submicronic element is more expensive than the non submicronic element but it's worth it. To use one on a passenger car might work if you put in in the trunk. It takes about 4 gallons of oil to fill it after a filter change. Probably a little overkill for a passenger car
grin.gif

Yes, if you have a filter mount and a properly sized orifice for your gasoline engine, the LF777 would definitely be a viable bypass filter for your vehicles!

It might even be a better choice then the Baldwin B50's and B164's that many are using.

Thanks Ralph, way too much of a mess to service an LF-750. I don't want to haul around all the extra weight either.
You know, 3 bucks a gallon and all...

Undummy, I have the filter head, the braided hose, hose ends and brass. I mainly was wondering if the media was actually effective enough to warrant an installation.

Thank you for your input gentlemen.

The price isn't too bad, according to fleetfilter's site info. The Wix equivalent rating is 5um nominal. As you'll note the rating is not maintained under the multipass numbers (19/31). This is, no doubt, due to the higher flow rate that the test demands. The 5um is surely at the 1.75gpm flow rate.

Now, naturally (cough-cough), I'd recommend a competitors offering for such things (cough-cough) ..but seeing as you already have the 1 3/8 - 16 mount, the numbers work out better in the short term, albeit at a less fine level of filtration. There are some very fine filters available from the Donaldson line up to fit this mount that use the SYNTEQ media. They are also available from a competitor (cough-cough).

grin.gif

One of the guys put a LF-750 on his Dodge Cummins. The best element that Fleetguard has for the LF-750 is chopped newspapers. I know you can get Wix and Lubrafiner newspaper elements also. There are also the junk pleated paper elements. I had a test going on a 8.3 Cummins at work. The oil kept getting cleaner until one of the diesel mechanics saw it was a Fleetguard housing and put in a Baldwin pleated paper element. That was the end of clean oil for it. I got a pretty good test. I brought it home and put it on the old Ford diesel F-350. I have been using the Scott Center pull paper towels. It takes two rolls at $10.00 each but it's worth it to have clean oil.
To answer your question no 5 micron filter is worth fooling with. There are only a few filters made by major filter companies that do a decent job of cleaning oil and those are becoming obsolete.

It depends on the application. There's SYNTEQ 1-20 (I think)

here's what SYNTEQ #2 media rates at

Efficiency Beta 2 (Micron): 2
Efficiency Beta 20 (Micron): 3
Efficiency Beta 75 (Micron): 5
Application Note: SYNTEQ # 2 MEDIA

SYNTEQ #1

Media Type: Synthetic
Efficiency Beta 75 (Micron): 3
Application Note: SYNTEQ Media #1

I dunno if that can be manipulated with flow rate or not.
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back