Passenger car tires on a truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started to get new tires put on my truck at a Wal-Mart several months ago. The shop guys did not recommend putting passenger tires on a truck. Well, I did just put new tires on and went with the Douglas Xtra-trac (Wal-Mart) passenger tires. They seem to have a pretty agressive tread and I have ran this tire on vehicles in the past. I do not haul large or heavy loads with the truck.
Is there any reason I shouldn't run a passenger car tire on a truck. The truck came with 215/75/15 tires but I am running 225/75/15's on it.

P series tires are in a sense passenger car tires, so no big deal. Just match up as a minimum your factory load rating and you will do well. You do not need to goto LT series tires unless it came with them.

If they insist on Placing LT tires on a truck that came with P series tires such as most F-150s, then show them the tire placard and tell them to quit reengineering your vehicle. If it came with LT series load rated tires match the load ratings and bee done with it.

Last edited:
My truck is a 1983 F150. Therefore, I assume that it came with passenger tires. I will check the placard.
Thanks!

Heh, I recently went the other way and put some truck tires on my minivan.
crazy.gif

Real men, rugged men, manly men, men who never back down and stand up for what is right will only put truck tires on a truck.

Coot has the "P" style supposed car tires on his truck.

I believe the line has been blured over the years between what is considered a truck tire and a car tire.... at least in regards to 1/2-ton trucks. And, even lrger capacity pick-uos depending upon the tasks those trucks are expected to do.

The "P" style will meet all my needs, including hauling and towing.

If only I could be a real manly-man.

Sniff

Quote:

I started to get new tires put on my truck at a Wal-Mart several months ago. The shop guys did not recommend putting passenger tires on a truck. Well, I did just put new tires on and went with the Douglas Xtra-trac (Wal-Mart) passenger tires. They seem to have a pretty agressive tread and I have ran this tire on vehicles in the past. I do not haul large or heavy loads with the truck.
Is there any reason I shouldn't run a passenger car tire on a truck. The truck came with 215/75/15 tires but I am running 225/75/15's on it.

The two types of tires are not rated the same. See: page 13 of this document (appears as page 14 of the .pdf file).

Quote:

Passenger car-sized tires applied to light trucks must have their load capacity, at all inflation pressures, reduced by a service factor. OE passenger car-sized tires have already had this reduction taken into account by the vehicle manufacturer.
_
To determine the load capacity of a passenger car tire when applied to a light truck vehicle, divide the load capacity (at a specific inflation pressure) of the passenger car tire by 1.1 and round to the nearest pound (or kilogram). Follow the same procedure for all inflation pressures.
_

For example: P235/70R15 at 35 psi
____Reference load: 1896 lbs (860kg) for passenger car use
____Divide by 1.1: 1896 lbs ÷ 1.1 = 1724 lbs (782 kg) for light truck use

My 2006 Sierra 1500 came with P-rated tires. The 2500 and 3500 come with LT tires. It all depends on the load the truck is expected to haul.

215/75/15 tires are small, by todays standards, for full size pickups. When I first read your post I automatically assumed you had a compact pickup, not a full sized one.

Quote:

215/75/15 tires are small, by todays standards, for full size pickups. When I first read your post I automatically assumed you had a compact pickup, not a full sized one.

So did I until I saw the year of the vehicle.

Just to fill this is a bit - Vehicles, including pickup trucks, have gotten heavier over the years. Plus, vehicle manufacturers are not only being more careful about the load ratings, but they are also applying lessons learned - and among those lessons is that vehicles that have larger tires than the minimum have fewer problems. I can think of 2 different "waves" where the tires have gotten larger.

I think what I am trying to say - and someone said this earlier - don't try to re-engineer the vehicle with regard to tire load capacity. If it came with P metric tires, stay with P metric tires. If it came with LT metric tires, stay with LT metric tires.

Quote:

Quote:

So did I until I saw the year of the vehicle.

Just to fill this is a bit - Vehicles, including pickup trucks, have gotten heavier over the years. Plus, vehicle manufacturers are not only being more careful about the load ratings, but they are also applying lessons learned - and among those lessons is that vehicles that have larger tires than the minimum have fewer problems. I can think of 2 different "waves" where the tires have gotten larger.

I think what I am trying to say - and someone said this earlier - don't try to re-engineer the vehicle with regard to tire load capacity. If it came with P metric tires, stay with P metric tires. If it came with LT metric tires, stay with LT metric tires.

if it came with P tires, but you are hauling a lot, you should/can upgrade to LT's.

Quote:

Quote:

if it came with P tires, but you are hauling a lot, you should/can upgrade to LT's......

Well, I would have said, if you are hauling a lot, you probably need a truck that came with LT metric tires.

yeah yeah yeah, good point....everything's relative

I have 3 trucks that came with P tires, 2 Isuzu's, Rodeo & Rodeo Sport, and an '04 Tacoma double cab. All 3 vehicles currently running LT tires Yokohama Geolander A/T's - wouldn't have it any other way.

I've only noticed a difference in the fact that the LT tires last longer tread wise, fewer flat-repairs, and wear better.

I do mild towing, off-roading, lots of highway, and tons of dirt roads.

I also have a truck that came with LT tires that burns through them quickly - 2500 Cummins Diesel.

Personally, I'd say go for P rated tires; specially if they're a common size for the tire you're looking for.

For example, in my sizes of the 265/75 R16's, it's almost nearly impossible to find a good A/T tire being passanger rated versus LT.

Both my 1/2 trucks came stock with P series tires. I've run over 200k on them combined with no problems. They were rated to carry the load the truck is designed to carry.

However, I did switch with my last set to LT tires in Load Range C. The difference was noticable! I prefer a firmer ride, and the handling of my truck was much better with the LT tires, IMHO. In addition, I am netting a better wearing tire for my application. My current set (Bridgestone Dueler REVO AT's) are over 65,000 miles, and I plan to run them out through the summer and replace before winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back