Manual calls for 5-20w is 10-40w ok to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Lumberg:
There's such a thing as a 25w70 oil? Who makes it?

I bet this will make the 5w20-lemmings' heads explode.
tongue.gif

http://www.westernoil.com.au/engine_oils.htm

Penrite and was called HPR turbo now called HPR 40. They have a 40W70 called HPR 50. HPR Turbo was used by many turbo owners and very popular here. Used that for 2-3yrs from memory. I now use a thin 5W50 but have also used 10W30 Pennzoil dino in the same engine but noise and high consumption killed that idea quickly.

Synergyn SAE Grade 50

Viscosity
@40 Degrees C_________203
@100 Degrees C________20.6
Viscosity Index________120
API Gravity____________26.4
Specific Gravity______0.8960
Density Lbs/Gal________7.46
Flash Point Degrees F___411
Pour PointDegrees F_____-18

Synergyn SAE GRADE 70

@40 Degrees C___________305
@100 Degrees C__________28.1
Viscosity Index_________124
API Gravity_____________26.1
Specific Gravity_______0.8970
Density Lbs.Gal__________747
Flash Point Degrees F____411
Pour Point Degrees F_____-15

Torco makes a 25W 60
http://www.torcoracingoils.com/assets/files/tr4_racing_tech.pdf

As well as up to 70
http://www.torcoracingoils.com/products/product_detail.asp?intProductsGroupIDPK=97

[ June 15, 2004, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

My take is that using a 10w40 likely will cause no problems. With that said, I'm not saying I think it would best choice for the $$.

As others have pointed out, we see that a lot of 5w30's (not all) have problems with shearing. It is likely a 10w40 is just as bad in this regard. Of course, I ran an '89 Cavalier on the dreaded 5w30 for 163,000 miles with no problems before body cancer (rust) was taking its toll, so that by no means is an indication that it won't work.

Others know, but I am currently giving a 5w40 a shot in my truck that specs 5w30 and is back recommended to 5w20 by Ford. I've run the 5w40 for about a 1000 miles now, and my initial impressions are that I get more noise on startup, the butt meter says the engine is less responsive/more sluggish, and my fuel economy over 4 tanks is down about 5% from using 5w20 or 5w30. We'll see where the UOA's lead...

I referred to the EPA document as it specifically says Dealers should use the 5W-20 oil. I had my oil changed at a local Honda Dealer and they used bulk 5W-30. I know this is not going to hurt anything. I thought it odd that they used a “out of spec” oil
This was the first oil change in our Pilot; I have had a hard time removing the filter on other Honda’s at the first oil change. The next oil change I used M1 5W-30 as I had it, In the future I will use M1 0W-20. I have been stocking up since I found it at Wal-Mart. It was very hard to find for a while.

Well I have been thinking that "Thin Oil" does provide a greater HP output of a given engine. I know feel my use of 10-40w may have reduced this power from my 92 Accord. Thinking that a 5-30w or an Amsoil will be better in both cars. I'm sorry I have used 10-40w in the 92 no, this vehicle again has been and still is a very good car.

I'm just not happy with an X-20w anything, the long term feeling it's not providing the protection you need in an engine when pushed hard. It's only used for EPA and or CAFE (IMHO), will I miss something (HP) using an X-30w oil maybe but I feel better when my right FOOT into it.

quote:

Originally posted by goofy8:
... but I feel better when my right FOOT into it.

I always feel better with my right foot into it!
fruit.gif

BTW, if it were my car, I'd run synthetic 10w30, maybe Mobil 1.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

... but I feel better when my right FOOT into it.

I always feel better with my right foot into it!
fruit.gif

BTW, if it were my car, I'd run synthetic 10w30, maybe Mobil 1.

So what's your feeling on 0-30w from Asmoil?

I just may be picking up a case today.

Btw...if your car calls for 5w-20, and your dealer puts in 5w-30 bulk oil...call the manufacturer. The dealer isn't SUPPOSED to put in whatever oil they have laying around, regardless of arguments on viscosity or whats better...their supposed to put in the same oil the manufacturer specifies.

Failure to do this can result in a large fine placed upon the dealer, as well as possible restrictions or future refusal for a license to sell cars. The manufacturer can never fix the problem if they don't know about it though....

I did write Honda of America. They responded quickly and said they would contact the dealer. I don’t know what happened after that…

quote:

Originally posted by crossbow:
Btw...if your car calls for 5w-20, and your dealer puts in 5w-30 bulk oil...call the manufacturer.

That's terrible. Shouldn't put 5w30 in anything. Too much viscosity spread. He should be using 10w30 if he is going with a 30 weight.

quote:

So what's your feeling on 0-30w from Asmoil?

I just may be picking up a case today.

Probably would work pretty good, but overkill for summer time. But I should defer to the experts as I have never used Mobil or Amsoil oils. Just going off all the good things I have heard about both on this site.

quote:

I'm just not happy with an X-20w anything, the long term feeling it's not providing the protection you need in an engine when pushed hard.

Why use data when we have feelings to make decisions with
dunno.gif
John

Hello me again,

I feel I had a crash course on oil technologies the last day or so.

I wish to thank all again, to convince me that 10-40w wasn't the best choice. For those who feel the factory is best, sorry don't believe everything you read.

I soon will rest easier knowing that 10-30w Amsoil will live in the car, so when my right foot gets on it my head won't be worrying what metal is now flowing around my crankcase.

quote:

I soon will rest easier knowing that 10-30w Amsoil will live in the car, so when my right foot gets on it my head won't be worrying what metal is now flowing around my crankcase.

I like the 10w30 synthetic much better than the 0W30 for you. In Florida you would never need either a 5w or 0w. The 10w should have a much more robust base. I would assume very little if any viscosity index improver in Amsoil 10w30.

And thanks for starting a fun conversation. Your topic statement really got the ball rolling.

[ June 16, 2004, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Originally posted by Lumberg:
There's such a thing as a 25w70 oil? Who makes it?

I bet this will make the 5w20-lemmings' heads explode.
tongue.gif

http://www.westernoil.com.au/engine_oils.htm

Interesting. I could definitely see a use for that in an old, air-cooled motorcycle that is driven in stop-and go traffic in the summer. I would also presume that it has a lot of moly and/or ZDDP for startup protection?

Just remember guys, the biggest sellers here in Australia is still the good ol 20W50, followed by the 15W40s in the better oils.

30wts are all but nonexistant here except in the latest of cars (LS1s etc). I dont think 5W-20 will ever come here for a long time!!

quote:

Originally posted by Leo:
Just remember guys, the biggest sellers here in Australia is still the good ol 20W50, followed by the 15W40s in the better oils.

30wts are all but nonexistant here except in the latest of cars (LS1s etc). I dont think 5W-20 will ever come here for a long time!!

Are they taking citizenship applications in Australia?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back