Cheveron/w Techron VS Shell V-Power??

Status
Not open for further replies.
which is better to clean fuel system, i heard v-power is great, but i would think cheveron with techron would be good as well thoughts..

bond007,
I've heard nothing about V-Power additives compared to Techron. Chevron markets this additive in separate bottles so it can be added to whatever gas you have. Until I hear/read more about Shell's additive I'll just stick with Techron.

Durango

but why would i buy the seperate bottle if i can just go to a cheveron gas station and use they're gas, thats supposley contains techron already, it would be cheaper

In my experience, it's like comparing the alcohol content of whiskey and lite-beer.

I ran tankful after tankful of V-power for months on end trying to correct a pinging problem that I assumed was from deposits on valves or in the combustion chamber; turned out to be a true assumption too I think. There was no improvement in anything - pinging, smoothness of idle, acceleration, nothing ! In fact the pinging continued to gradually get worse while I used Top Tier gas (most of which wsa V-power).

Beginning of March I dumped one full bottle of Redline SI-1 into the tank. By the end of that tank, the pinging was almost gone. So I did it again. Then the pinging was gone. Then I ran maintenance doses of Redline for a few tankfuls, then I dumped in a full bottle of Techron ProGuard. After all that there actually is a noticeable seat-of-the-pants improvement in acceleration. Idling is perfect; no pinging. AND for the first time in a year, my spark plugs actually look normal : nice light tan-gray insulators, rather than all pure white and a couple of them bordering on blistered.

All I can tell you is that one month of heavy treatment with Redline SI-1 and Techron did more than 6 months of Shell V-Power (or any of the other Top Teir gasolines I also tried). V-Power was costing me about $6 per tank more than just regular 87 octane gas. I should have saved the money and just bought Redline or Techron in the first place.

BTW, Redline SI-1 and Techron both use PEA as the primary active ingredient. So Techron ...Redline SI-1....we're more or less talking about the same thing. The product formulations are not identical though. Techron has some other things in it that Redline doesn't (according to the MSDS).

Maybe I was expecting too much from V-Power. But if you read the info on their website, I wasn't. Maybe I had more deposit than the V-Power additives could reasonably be expected to clean - I don't know.

good stuff! i did want to mention that my car requries premium 93 octane so i will be buy that, not sure if this changes thoughts

Quote:

but why would i buy the seperate bottle if i can just go to a cheveron gas station and use they're gas, thats supposley contains techron already, it would be cheaper

bond007,

That is under the assumption you can afford Chevron gasoline with Techron additive. here in California where Chevron gas is considered millionairs gasoline. For myself I can't afford $3.65/gallon! I'd rather find/use a cheaper brand of gasoline and every other month add a bottle of Techron concentrate.

Durango

I'm not sticking up for Shell's V-Power, but I can tell it makes my car run better than any other brand of gas... except I've never tried Chevron or this Techron than you all talk about... although I do want to try the Techron and Redline SI-1 sometime. But, the V-Power does give my car a better, low RPM kick. It's a 4.6 OHC V8 in a 94 Thunderbird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back