Chevy Piston Slap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now that I'm an admin, I'm supposed to behave myself, but I can't resist any longer -- I like short skirts a lot, just not on my pistons, thank you. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Quote:

Well now that I'm an admin, I'm supposed to behave myself, but I can't resist any longer -- I like short skirts a lot, just not on my pistons, thank you. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

I too like women in short skirts. I will also take short skirts in my alloy engine block as well if that's what it takes to give me 250K + mile durability with 12 second 1/4 mile times and >30 mpg highway fuel economy. If this also entails a little cold piston slap, so be it, I can easily live with that.
grin.gif
patriot.gif
NO other "miraculous/infallible"
smirk.gif
import manufacturers can give me that in their "quiet" engines (at least not for under $100K).
nono.gif

Quote:

The best performing oil for me was GC.

Worst oils were Mobil products. My engine sounded like an old diesel with M1 and DC7500 in it. No more Mobil products for me.

This has been my exact experience as well. GC made my 245k Caprice 350, 166k Camaro LT1 and 80k 2000 Malibu 3100 V6 all sound their best, and they sounded their worst on M1, with 0W-40 maybe being the worst of the M1s, which really struck a negative chord with me, since the 0W-40 looks attractive on paper.

Is this still an issue? I heard a lot about it a few years ago, now I hardly hear anything about it. I have an '04 Chevy P/U with a 5.3L, but it's never had the slap. I've been concerned that it will happen, but fortunately nothing yet. I was under the impression that if it wasn't fixed by this MY, then it was fixed soon after. I'm now using GC, though, and it seems to work great in this engine.

My 2003 5.3 Flex fuel Tahoe is a bit noisy like most of the GM V8s but I think its either lifters or the fuel injectors.Regardless, its been smoothest/quietest with GC and no appreciable mileage/power loss.

I wish I could tell you the specifics. There are posts about the tapping and clicking noises the GM motors make regularly on corvetteforum. Very common, evidently. My 2005 vette has it, as does my Tahoe and as did my 2001 Yukon. Doesn't sound like piston slap, more a rhythmic ticking, and happens whether hot or cold. I don't think it's all "injector noise" as using GC (and PP once) decreased the noise as compared to M1.
dunno.gif

The idea that the FAA has certified the LS1 motor for aircraft use appears to be urban legend. The closest thing I can find is a company in Canada which has done some conversions of 1940s Seabees to LS1/2 power. Here is what they say about US certification: "In the U.S. the only viable licensing option we have been able to identify is compliance with the amateur built rules. In theory the aircraft could be licensed by using a one time STC or via the 337 process. We have been unable to find an inspector willing to do this." http://www.v8seabee.com/reg.asp

To the best of my knowledge, no modern automotive engine has earned FAA (or FCC!) certification for aircraft use. Maybe someone somewhere has gotten an inspector to sign off on an aircraft under special amateur built rules, but that is hardly the same thing as a full FAA certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back