What's up with Fuel Prices ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do find in interesting that in part of the country, where tons of people come for road trips (mountains of CO), for the last 2 years, at least 1, and this year, 2 refineries that supply gasoline to CO suddenly erupt in flames. We've had a bonafide shortage; gas stations simply out of fuel, especially Valero affiliated stations. Gas is averaging about $3.29 here for regular 85 octane............high altitude areas have 85 octane as regular; the same price as 87 in most parts of the country, FOR THE SAME PRICE. We get majorly hosed on that.

I thought this bit of information rather interesting:

Quote:

Even though the total number of refineries continues to fall, overall output over the past decade has risen by the equivalent of a new medium-sized refinery every year , says Shore.

Some of the improvements are simple physical changes — a bigger “cracking” tower or higher capacity pipes or pumps. The Valero plant here recently added two “coking” units to squeeze more liquid fuel out of the “bottom of the barrel” solid material left over by the refining process.

So, if the above is correct, today's refineries are producing the equivalent of all the 1997 refineries +10 "new" refineries.

Complete Article Here

Quote:

I thought this bit of information rather interesting:

Quote:

Even though the total number of refineries continues to fall, overall output over the past decade has risen by the equivalent of a new medium-sized refinery every year , says Shore.

Some of the improvements are simple physical changes — a bigger “cracking” tower or higher capacity pipes or pumps. The Valero plant here recently added two “coking” units to squeeze more liquid fuel out of the “bottom of the barrel” solid material left over by the refining process.

So, if the above is correct, today's refineries are producing the equivalent of all the 1997 refineries +10 "new" refineries.

Complete Article Here

Very good article.

The fact is, the demand is still not met @ these par+10 98% capacities. The industry is playing with a very narrow margin of error.

We need to force our legislatures to build new refineries (If that is the route we take), if anything psychologically force the oil/gas markets to reduce their pressures on prices.
Not saying that is the right way to approach this.

I still think a combination of competing alt fuels is the solution.

I know the next set of lawmakers I vote better have a comprehensive energy plan that shows a step forward not a paid political statement.

Quote:

demand being met or not simply is a virtue of oil company mandated output restrictions

What he said.

approved.gif

3.09 in irving. We are all in the wrong business. Although im not complaining too much since leaving california last year i was paying 3.30

No - but I have a theory why WA state is alomost always near the most expensive (more than Hawaii!) - "gas station density" - we simply have too few gas stations for the growing population. And no one in this eco-zone wants new gas stations. They charge what they can get away with.

I'm buying a smaller car, very soon.

Quote:

Gas went up 20 ¢ a gallon here in the past two days!

Folks at the station said that with a long weekend coming up the end of this month + a requirement for the "Summer Blend", we will see another increase sometime next week!

Why do they use the excuse of "summer blend" to raise prices at the start of summer, and "winter blend" to raise prices at the start of winter? I don't get it...

Winter blend is typically cheaper to produce. Summer is more expensive, plus people drive more in the summer, plus, many northern cities mandate special fuels for summer because of Ozone Action Days.

through our choices, we enable the traders to leverage our decisions and charge more.

It is a tight balance between what is considered eco-friendly and what is going to allow for overconsumption. Unfortunately the folks that cause the polarization either have too much $$ and dont care, or have too little $$$ and dont care. Its just us trying to get by and create value in the middle that are effected, yet we allow all those polarity inducers to be able to do their thing.

JMH

NEWSFLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 22, 2007.......

Old Coot buys gasoline.

$3.39 for one gallon.

Not the cheapest stuff nor the most expensive.

87 octanes mixed in with the gas. Unsure if that is 87 octanes per gallon or if that is the number per storage tank.

The 89 octane concoction was 10-cents per gallon less but contains 10-perecent ethanol. Unsure if the 10-cent differential would be eaten up by the greater amount of fuel needing burnt to compensate for the lesser BTU content of the corn likker' mixed in.

Coot may be driving cross-country at 60 of those mph's vice the allowed 75 so as to use less petrol.

It's not just that we haven't built a new refinery in 30 some odd years, but a number of them have shut down.

I believe some in our local area, in Hartford/Roxanna/Wood River, IL have actually shut down.

So even if others are picking up the slack, that still means that if a refinery goes off-line, then a greater percentage of our refining capacity is unavailable, thus causing bigger ripples in the commodity market.

Contrived Example:

If 100 refineries are each providing 1% of national refining capacity, then one refinery off line reduces production by 1%

If 25 refineries are each providing 4% of national refining capcity, then one refinery off line reduces total production by 4%

In both cases, the number of refineries can meet demand, but in the latter case, the loss of one refinery has a greater impact in the marketplace.

I believe that while refinery capacity has increased, we've gone from more refineries to fewer to meet the ever increasing demand.

Thus, if one of them burps, the shockwave is much larger, and we see it at the pumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back