Brake/Wheel Hub : Rotor
RAYBESTOS Part # 96795R {Professional Grade}
Front $22.79 $0.00 $45.58
RAYBESTOS Part # 96849R {Professional Grade}
Rear $11.32 $0.00 $22.64
Subtotal $149.90
Shipping $53.49
Total $203.89

My buddy's 2002 TL has 86k miles and is exhibiting the infamous warped rotors syndrome. It's probably time for new pads and rotors, so I headed over to RockAuto and found the above configuration.

Are the Raybestos "QuietStop" pads and "Professional Grade" rotors a good combo for a lightly driven, daily driver? My objective is to find a pad and rotor combination that will not suffer warpage for at least another 50k miles. The brake pad must also deliver low noise and long life. If you know of another pad and rotor combination that can meet my requirements and deliver equal or better performance at a better price, please let me know.

The Wagner ThermoQuiet or Raybestos PG Plus Ceramic pads will lower the total by about $20. Would either of those pads be a better choice in terms of noise and/or performance, or am I better off with the QuietStop pads? I really want to get this brake job right the first time, and not have any complaints.

Thanks.

Both the Wagner and Raybestos are of decent quality. For that money I would say, "Go For It". If the car is lightly driven as you say, you can't go wrong. Only rotors that are Cryogenicaly treated(frozen first and then heat treated) will last longer but, they will cost over $100.00 each. This frozen treatment gives a more useful life of the rotors. Any way that you decide to go, ceramic pads are the correct application even if you decide to save another $20.00. Caramic pads are not only quiet but low dusting as well. The Super Premium might give a little better bite but, at the expence of rotor life. Wait for others to chime in to give opinions before making your final purchace. But I think you'll be fine with what ever you decide to do. I don't know about 50K miles! I know people that drive their cars easily but brake hard.

I used Raybestos QS front/rear pads on my BMW with zero noise and almost no dust. However, I used OEM ATE rotors. Not happy over the front rotors. I now have what appears to FRONT warped rotors after 25,000 miles with very little rotor or pad wear.

Been told ATE rotors are made on the thin side and warp easy. Will try to turn but suspect they will be too thin to turn more than once.

Mike,

The only time I ever warped rotors on any Honda is when I used a non OE pad. Honda pads are very soft. ( that is both a good and a bad thing)

Are you replacing original pads? 86k original miles is not uncommon on any Honda that is not driven too harshly.

I have used those exact brand of rotors on my sisters car (Mazda) they are very good for the price.

The fact that Russell tells us he warped his rotors using those pads may be a sign that the pads are too hard for him and will also be too hard for you.

Cheers!

Hondaman, Good point. However,I was told to match up hard rotors to hard pads. ATE pads are hard pads.

Now my precieved warpage may actually be due to a worn suspension component. Yet to be proven. I am going turn the rotors first before i replace any expensive suspension parts.

They sound like they'll work fine for your application.

I've heard great things about the Carquest high-end rotors, as well as Akebono pads. I think that's what I'll be getting when mine are toast.

Mike,

I put wagner thermoquiet's on my wife's TL last summer. I have observed no noise, OEM stopping performance and no rotor warping since then.

My wife doesn't abuse this car, but the factory pads were known to cause rotor warping, and we previously had our fair share of that issue to deal with. No issues since.

Thanks everyone. I forgot to subscribe to this thread so I did not notice it until now.
frown.gif

HM: Brake shudder is quite common on TLs and CLs due to pad material transfer from the pad to the rotor. In some cases, it has actually led to warpage problems. Warped rotors are not uncommon with these vehicles. Not sure if they are the original brake pads. He purchased the vehicle used with 70k on it last year. Still has the original transmission though.

Jim: I wonder if the ThermoQuiets are equivalent to the Bendix IQ pads. It seems as though both of these pads are of a semi-met compound versus the OEM ceramic. Wagner claims to meet OEM friction type yet they only mention semi-met and organic compounds as I recall. Also, I've heard of some complaints with ThermoQuiets and Raybestos Quiet Stops regarding their barely adequate brake performance?

My thought is you'd be limited by the skinny tires these TL's wear rather than the friction material on the pads.

This car isn't exactly a track-mobile. It gets all kinds of upset if you try to go around a corner. I guess the 330 spoiled me.

My wife thinks it is pretty sporty though. She enjoys smoking 4 cylinder hondas and acuras. The other day she asked me if she could beat the car beside us. That was sort of funny because it was a 2006 Corvette Z06. I invited her to try, just so I could see the Corvette run. He pulled away pretty easily and probably didn't even know we were "racing".

Thanks to the excellent brake techs we have on this site (ewetho, bdcardinal, Greaser, Big O Dave, unDummy), I've learned that one should always consider using the premium line of rotors. CHEAP rotors have a greater tendency to warp, make noise, and have fitment and finish issues upon arrival. Especially if the vehicle does not belong to you, it's best to ask the person to spend a bit more on parts so the job can be done correctly the first time to avoid complaints.

With that said, I will only Centrix Premium or Brembo OEM replacement rotors in the future. Both are about $50-$65/each depending on the vehicle and are well worth the additional cost.

Big O Dave also taught me that Centric has a "100 series" pad line-up for import vehicles. These are actually reboxed OEM pads from the manufacturers that make the friction materials for the dealership pads. Centric buys the friction material and pads from those manufacturers, and resells them at a slightly lower price (15-20% less) than the genuine part.

cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back