New CJ-4 Oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it will. The particles are so small (under 1 micron) I don't see how it would do anything either.

I know Delo 400 has alot of moly. But to quiet your slap, I would use Castrol. From what I've read here at BITOG, that's the oil that works best for your issues.

As an automotive machinist for over 30 years I may have a little insight on this.

If you have enough piston to cyl. wall clearance to cause what may be called piston slap then it will not matter what oil is on the cylinder walls. If you are throwing enough oil, no matter what thickness it is, up on the cylinder walls you have more problems than cyl. to piston clearances.

Some motorcycles have very short piston skirts and the piston will rock alittle and give a slappin sound. IMO any 10w30 will not aide, I'd look at something like 5w40 Rotella synthetic

If your engine is noisy, I would agree with the notion to use a thicker 10W-30 such as the Maxlife. It has some moly, too, if that's what you are looking for. It is not CJ4, but may help as a higher viscosity 10W-30. The Rotella 5W-40 is not rated CJ4 yet, but would be a good one to try as well, even though it may have very little if any moly. Delo 10W-30 should have a some of moly, but we just never see this oil here in the south.

Do you need CJ4 oil because you have a late model diesel that requires it? Otherwise, take a serious look at finding some Schaeffers 9000 5W-40 for year round use in your climate. Lots of moly and should quiet things down, if any oil can do so for your engine. A more expensive alternative would be Redline 10W-30 synthetic-lots of moly, and a more viscous 30 weight oil at operating temps than most other 10W-30 oils.

Bottom line- try something and see how it does. And, get back to us here and let us know your experience! Thanks and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back