My new chain lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks like an easy solution to having run out of lube. my bike will be powered by m1 0w40 starting tomorrow
thumbsup.gif

Pro link is what we used when I worked at a bike shop and is what I use on my bikes. For those poorly maintained Huffys, we used chain saw bar lube. True it collects dirt, but it sticks well, works well for those bikes left in the rain and penetrates the rollers. Never for a narrow 9-10 chain. Just the cheapies and my single speed commuter

Spike T, you are right on target, with the dilted synthetic motor oil. I take it a step further with a small amount of terpene hydrocarbon in the mineral spirits and a bit of Auto-Rx in the synthetic motor oil before combining. The coniferous terpene hydrocarbon and the lanolin esters in Auto-Rx are fantastic corrosion inhibitors. I apply with a paint brush with the bike upside down using my hand to operate the pedal. Then I use a lint free rag to wipe the excess. When done the night before there is never any slinging. Works great rain or shine.

To clean a bike chain, pour in one quart of fresh motor oil into a old rubbish pan.
Bring to a boil. Add chain.

stirthepot.gif

I really like Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant. Motorcyclists got me in on this stuff. Sprays on wet, then the carrier evaporates, leaving a dry, waxy lubricant. Lasts a long time and doesn't attract dirt. Can get a huge can at Lowe's for about $5.

Whatever Mobil 1 or Synthetic Rotella that I have left in the containers (that last half teaspoon)goes in an old dristan bottle to be used for bicycle and motorcycle chain lube - just a tiny drop/spot of syn on each pin/plate joint seems to work well - let sit then wipe off. After a ride when chain is warm seems best - on the MC it is more for rust prevention as they are now o-ring sealed. Specific dry lubes are probably better - but mine is cheaper

I totally agree with everyone who likes dry lubes. Before them, the only chainlube that was worth anything was wax. Yep. Melt it down, soak the chains in it, and pull them out to dry and cool off. Wax that is permeated into a chain is very slippery, won't wear off, and protects spare chains until they are put on.

All the dry lubes are an attempt to get wax into and onto the chain in an easier way.

Quote:

I totally agree with everyone who likes dry lubes. Before them, the only chainlube that was worth anything was wax. Yep. Melt it down, soak the chains in it, and pull them out to dry and cool off. Wax that is permeated into a chain is very slippery, won't wear off, and protects spare chains until they are put on.

All the dry lubes are an attempt to get wax into and onto the chain in an easier way.

I used to wax my chains ,I would let the chain cook in the melted wax over a double boiler for half an hour, the dirt would come off and the wax would lube the chain for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back