Factory GM filter in use for 17200 miles !?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I hope that's not the case, but the filter to the left was removed from my 2005 trailblazer 4.2L, the day after I bought it in Feb 2006, with just over 17Kmi on it. Good thing is, I didn't find any trash in the media and the media was very tough and flexible. The 'original' oil I dumped out of it didn't look aweful, and the plastic belly pan 'oil change door' was missing, so I *assumed* atleast an oil change or two had been done on it prior to me taking ownership. This trailblazer was owned by a rental company. The can and baseplate were very heavy on the blue filter and it's only markings are 05452 OE stamped on the end. That Napa gold to the right for comparison was in use for 5Kmi. I scored a nifty oil filter opener from eBay last week which is what prompted me to dig into my bucket of used filters.
Picture683.jpg

Joel

I forgot to post my question!
pat2.gif
Do you think the ACDelco blue filter was dealer installed at some point, or could it be OEM? The trailblazer had 'signs' that an oil change or 3 had been done on it. But I have no way of knowing for sure. A risk I was wulling to accept when buying used.
chairs.gif

Joel

It may have been done at the dealer (the oil changes). Are there any records of the maintenance? You could get them from the rental agency I'm sure. The color of the filter media looks a "little" dark compared to stuff I've seen.

No records aside from a carfax report the salesman and I ran from the dealership the day I bought it. Basically the truck went from the factory to the rental company, was owned by the (un-named) rental co. for ~7mo/~12Kmi, then a group of them were sold/shipped to the Chevy dealership I bought it from. This one sat on the dealership's lot from Nov to Feb, so the 'special finance manager' used it and racked up an additional ~5Kmi before I bought it. Out of a group of 3 trailblazers from the same source that remained at this dealership, mine was the only one from this rental company that was not used in regular rental service per the carfax report. Well... that it met my wife's color requirement. I'm curious if any other GMT360 chassis, 4.2L owners that bought new, had this same filter from the factory? Of course the dealership did nothing aside from clean the truck before I took delivery . This is actually fine by me as I like to go thru them and add my 'own' lubes/filters, BITOG style!

Joel

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. All of the GM dealers that I have been involved with always change the oil as a part of the used vehicle inspection when they take a vehicle into their posession (that they intend to put on the lot for sale), since they don't know if that vehicle is going to be on the lot for 10 minutes or for 10 months.

If it was in a rental fleet, it likely had the oil changed somewhere around the 7,500 mile mark. That is pretty much SOP for the rental companies. When I get rentals with over 8k on the odometer, they won't have OE oil filters on them anymore... it'll have something aftermarket like a Quaker State or Pennzoil oil filter.

Then, I would bet that the dealer changed it again when they took it into their posession at 12,000 miles. Is that a blue AC Delco oil filter?

Quote:

.. Is that a blue AC Delco oil filter?

That's the thing. I don't know what brand it is. The only markings on it is a tiny 05452 OE printed/painted on the bottom. It's a very simple filter. No ADBV and no bypass that I could determine. That stamped spacer piece sat in the bottom of the can and mashed that black 'rubber' seal on the top of the media cannister to the underside of the baseplate. The oil filter O-ring is VERY thick and the can and baseplate are heavier than your store bought ACD filter. Thanks for your input!

Joel

Not sure what that is, but it isn't AC Delco. The filter that came on it was black, the PF61 has only one marking in the baseplate, a "G". Those filters do indeed have no ADBV or bypass.

My guess is that it was a no-name white box filter as are now showing up as imports from China, Thailand, Korea and other places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back