Pencool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard of this stuff? It comes in a black pint sized jug and is a cooling system additive. It contains Nalcool which protects your cooling system from corrosion. It is very popular in heavy duty trucking. When I was involved in trucking we used this alot along with the test strips to test the active ingred. in your coolant. I used this in my 1994 Dodge Ram witha 5.9 and will tell you after 12 years the inside of the thermostat neck looked like new. You can get this stuff at any heavy truck dealer and it is recommended by CAT, Cummins and Detroit.(being reccomended by engine makers is a big plus, they dont endorse much). It will extend you coolant life forever, Pencool said it is great for auto coolants and is basically overkill protection. First thing they do when you have engine warranty trouble with a big truck is check the coolant

I think the stuff you're describing is basically an aftermarket version of what Cummins calls DCA (Diesel Coolant Additive), John Deere calls SCA(Supplemental Cooland Additive), and Detroit just calls 'additive'. The Detroit-reccomended OEM stuff is slightly different(nitrate only), but similar enough that I'm sure the stuff you're describing would work. I don't know what Cat calls it, but I know that they're all largely the same. It prevents corrosion in the cooling system- particularly the kind that causes cylinder liners to cavitate. Works very well in my experience. I've torn down hundreds of diesel engines... and merely dozens of automotive ones. I can say from experience that the kind of scale and corrosion OFTEN seen in older automotive engines is pretty uncommon in truck/heavy equipment engines... so long as the operator has made even a token attempt at keeping the additive level up.

I've run "heavy duty" coolant with SCA's in my vehicles for years without problems.

Most people look at me like I've got three heads when I say I've checked the SCA in my antifreeze. I guess it'll just be our little secret.

Right now, I've green John Deere antifreeze in my '94 Corsica, my '01 Lumina, and my '85 Ford. I've had the engines apart on both GM's for the usual lower intake manifold repairs (required on every 3100 ever made), and the cooling systems are squeaky clean and tinted that neat light green color.

I decided on HD fully formulated coolant when I flushed my vehicles and diesel tractor. It's a real quagmire trying to figure out antifreeze anymore... some don't even say what they are! (ie: all makes/models Prestone).
The FleetCharge HD meets SAE1941 for my tractor, and the long Ford spec number for the pre-2001 (?) Fords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back