Bike racks

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Wife and I are need of a bike rack to take our bikes back and forth to the beach. Any recommendations on a quality rack for a 2" receiver. I was looking at a Thule Parkway at the bike shop and it seemed well built.

I bought my Performance 3 bike hitch rack on sale for $120. It has the dual receiver so I can switch it between my truck and my car. I'm happy with it. Solid attachment to the hitch (uses and included bolt, needs occasional tightening, to screw in). I would recommend one which uses three straps (two on the top tube and one on the seat tube) for pretty good anti-sway. The one I have isn't necessarily the best for smaller framed or those frames with a compact geometry as they fit tight. The anti-sway strap can cause wear on the seattube. I can't post the link but PM me for a pretty good website for hitches and rack info.

I have a Draw Tite and I love it. It holds three bikes and has an add on that allows me to carry five, although they get pretty tight. The three bike carrier is perfect for two bikes.

Looking into getting a Thule Parkway 4-bike rack for myself soon.

I'm very happy with the Thule cargo box I've had for a couple of years. I agree the Parkway seems very well made. If it's like my cargo box it should also be made in the US.

I'm also in the market for a 4 bike rack for a 2" receiver. When I see a sale - they are all for 1.25" receivers! (lower cost)

Thule looks OK. Yakima may be OK but I had a negative experience with their roof rack.

How about Allen?

Pablo,

Look into the Performance X-Port 4 bike. About $139 + shipping. Just my humble opinion, but buy in size bigger than what you want cuz there anit no way mine would fit 3. My buddy has the 4 bike X-Port and it was tight for 3 bikes.

I'm still looking for a car rack that fits on my bike.
wink.gif

Quote:

My Wife and I are need of a bike rack to take our bikes back and forth to the beach. Any recommendations on a quality rack for a 2" receiver. I was looking at a Thule Parkway at the bike shop and it seemed well built.

You've got the right brand, Thule, but go for the T2. I've had my SportWorks (which is now owned by Thule) for over 5 years, it is by far the best rack ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back