03 Duramax, 8294 mi, M1 5w40 T&SUV (old stock)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Chevy Duramax Diesel
Baldwin B1441 Oil Filter
AC A1618C Air Filter
Oil Guard Bypass Filter

Sample Date: 3/25/2007
Test Date: 3/28/2007
Oil Grade: 5W40
Oil Type: M1 T&SUV
LAB: PMSI (AVLube)
Miles on Unit: 68199
Miles on Oil: 8294
Iron: 6
Chromium: 0
Lead: 6
Copper: 6
Tin: 0
Aluminum: 2
Nickel: 0
Silver: 0
Silicon: 9
Boron: 77
Sodium: 1
Potassium: 2
Magnesium: 590
Calcium: 2,128
Barium:
Phosphorus: 1,600
Zinc: 1,763
Moly: 0
Fuel: A (0-3)
Water: Glycol: Neg
Visc-100c cST: 13.6
TBN: 12.3
Soot: Oxidation: 12.00
Nitration: 6.00

(Oil was topped off with 16oz of Power Service Diesel Lube Oil Extender near the end of the OCI)

Click on UOA in my signature for history ..

smile.gif

Looks good. The trend looks very good as well, UOA comes back fairly close each time. Most of the variation looks to be from the variation of oil batches more than anything.

Looks like the oil would go another 5k without trouble if you wanted. How often are you chaining the oil guard? Looks like if you only added 16oz of PS and no other makeup oil you are chaining all the filters at the end of the OCI?

Thanks for the feed back ..
cool.gif
I’ve been slowly increasing the OCI and per the UOAs, am getting more comfortable with extending the drains … Full flow filters get changed at each OCI but I’ve been pushing the Oil Guard which was replaced it at this change after 4 OCI’s and 28.2kmi of use.. After cross sectioning the element I think I wont push it more than 24kmi next time. The prevoius element went 20k and looked like it still had some life when I cut it open... some pics are posted in the ByPass Filter Forum - Oil Guard Element Change Intervals?

smile.gif

Ya 0.1% soot is impressive. My 7.3 has about 0.7% at 4K and that is with almost all highway towing miles so I'm getting good combustion and plenty of heat.

Bill, looks like from your pictures that 24K seems a good choice for the Oil Guard change. Although even at 28K that filter didn't look really bad, but showing signs. At this rate you'll get tired of the truck or the body will wear off it long before the engine wears out.

Quote:

even at 28K that filter didn't look really bad, but showing signs

What concerned was that the filter canister was barely warm to the touch indicating it probably wasn't flowing very well. Prior to changing the filter I took the truck for a ride up some long grades to warm the oil. I believe the Oil Guard flow path is along the center of the helically wound string .. Comparing the pictures form the 20k filter to the 28k I could see the cross section of the 28k outer strings were nearly filled with soot while the strings near the center had more white area. Kind of interesting how it seems to work …
cool.gif

Also concerning the low soot level … While I think the Oil Guard is helping, the Duramax seems to be a low soot engine .. Compared to other diesels I’ve owned this one seems to run much cleaner … even folks with that are not running bypass filters comment on how the oil doesn’t blacken as quickly compared to other diesels .. I think this changes though when you add power mods …

Quote:

At this rate you'll get tired of the truck or the body will wear off it long before the engine wears out.

grin.gif
LoL

I’m hoping to keep it along time but you never know … I’m just as anal about maintaining the body and drivetrain as I am about the engine ..
smile.gif

The Duramax has proven to be a great diesel engine, no doubt about it. I wish ferd would hurry up and get their acts together and put a good diesel engine back on the market.

Competition makes the manufacturers produce a good product, which makes the consumer the big winner in the end.

Let me get back on topic here
grin.gif
....As far as a low soot engine and showing great UOA numbers, the Duramax has excelled in that aspect.

My CTD has the third combustion event which makes the oil black as coal in a short period of time. Even with the black oil, my insoluble level at 7,622 miles was at a 0.2% on this UOA.

Bill, you're right....we buy diesel engines in hopes that we can get 500K out of them (I do at least). I intend on having my truck for a very long time.

coffeetime.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back