Any alternatives to BMW SLF auto trans. fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I can find an acceptable substitute, I'll use it. This is for a '95 BMW 540i with a ZF 5HP30 tranny. It's just been completely rebuilt, and according to the tranny builder, he claims the updated parts now require the use of special BMW tranny fluid, known as SLF or special lubricant fluid.
This stuff is $26.54 per liter, and I need 13.1 liters of it to fill this tranny from dry! That's roughly $350 worth of tranny fluid!

I was told by several other Bimmer nuts that the tranny builder is correct, and that if regular ATF is used, it will cause the tranny to fail.

Any advice, or do I just have to grab my ankles and buy the fluid from BMW?

Its a lifetime fill, why are you changing it? Just kidding!

Valvoline lists it Maxlife as a suitable ATF.

A cheap or lame ATF will cause a failure. But, most older ZF's will do well with any full or blend multivehicle or universal ATF.

Are you sure it takes SLF? Check the owners manual or factory service manual. I was thinking the factory fill is Shell LA or Esso LT fluids, which are long life DexronIII's.

When using a non-OEM ATF, adjust your fluid change intervals accordingly.

If the "SLF" is the common Esso LT71141, it is available under the VW G052162A for $10-$15/L, either online, or at any VW parts counter.

My 540i requires the Shell LA2634 Semi Synthetic ATF. It is labeled for "LIFETIME FILL" Quaker State and Pennzoil both make a readily available ATF called "MULTI-VEHICLE ATF" whichs meets BMW's spec. Both are also a semi-synthetic ATF. I have used Redline D4 ATF and Amsoil ATF with great results. I understand all the ATF's I mentioned above also will work in place of the "ESSO LT#####" lifetime fluid. If you realy want the original you can get it from Bavarian Auto but be prepared to pay$$$$$$

Thanks for the replies! I think we're going to try the Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF. I can't see anything being so special about the BMW fluid that the tranny will grenade without its use. Sure, the Pennzoil might not last as long, but as long as it's changed regularly, it should be fine.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=31963

people have been running P-MV ATF for 5+ years no prob.

HOWEVER...

the ESSO fluid is a high performance fluid, all the "buy at your local ***" are NOT. the Shell fluid is also not a high performance fluid, and is very similar to the MV ATFs and Mercon V fluids.

the only 2 that come close to the ESSO in my opinion are the Amsoil ATF and Redline D4. the D4 actually has fluid characteristics that appear to be superior to the ESSO fluid.

I agree with that comment. In fact I was about to say the same thing.
Esso LT 71141 and the Shell fluid were formulated specifically to address TCC shudder issues in those ZF transmissions. That is why I passed the comment about TCC shudder. If we are talking about high performance (whatever that means) then neither of those fluids will be as good as a DEXRON-VI when subjected to thermal stress.

Now on to the fun part...Filling the darn thing!

What sort of idiot puts the fill plug on the bottom of the pan??!? I've seen a lot of retarded designs in my time, but this one is definitely towards the top of the list!

Only thing we have here at the shop is a small (probably <12oz.) suction gun that would be able to accomplish the task of filling the tranny this way. I'm going to look for a small hand pump this weekend. I vaguely remember Harbor Freight having a small 12 volt electric fluid transfer pump for a pretty cheap price too. This might work perfectly.

Idiot??? Those are OEM engineers that we are never suppose to question
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

high performance = full synthetic with exceptional low temp and high temp properties, that can actually protect the transmission for the "extended" interval, unlike the shell fluid and any off the shelf ATF. i wouldnt be surprised of the Esso fluid came close or met D6 specs.

Full synthetic? Nope, specs are for LT71141 are indentical to DexronIII, worse then MerconV/ATF+4.....and its not a mpg improving ATF like DexronVI.

Extended interval? So are ATF+4, DexronIII-h, and Mercon-V, but you'll still see me recommending reasonable flush intervals. And, we have choices for those fluids. Competition keeps the price acceptable.

Those euro and some Asian ATFs are overpriced pathetic performing fluids. And, with the number of
What it is, and like many other fluids, is a nothing special fluid, but with an exclusivity contract from the supplier and manufacturer. Its just a mega profit margin milking the public method of making money. Sell a $2-$3 fluid for $15, and use warranty fear(sounds like the mob) to make sure you pay your dues when you buy it. Corporate greed is alive and well!

I remember the VW New Beetle was one of the first cars I ever saw with no tranny dipstick. My customer was the one who brought it up asking where it was, and when I couldn't find it either, I went on a quest calling the local VW dealer and asking them. The service writer told me the tranny was "filled for life". I replied back with "The life of the car, or the life of the tranny?". He didn't find that amusing.
The saddest part is I think the latter is more truth than the former.

It won't even come close. There was for instance some comarison of oxidation characteristics in a paper that I referred to on another thread not so long ago and LT 71141 is not even close. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good fluid and certainly was in it's day, but time moves on and don't we all know it. (Well maybe some of you youngsters out there haven't caught on yet)!

So, is DexVI safe for use in applications requiring Esso LT71141 or not?

If I use it and do not notice any TCC shudder issues, am I OK?

My opinion is that it would probably be ok, but that's all it is, an opinion.
LT 71141 was designed, in addition to all the usual things, to work in conjunction with the material used in ZF's TCC. That material was BW 1473-2. Now here's why I can't actually answer your question. As far as I know GM does not use that material in a TCC, they use carbon fiber so would DEXRON-VI shudder with the BW material? Probably not is the best I can do for a response.

13 liters? Is that possible?

The only advice I can give is that you should not mix fluids. Mixing fluids can cause failure.

Thanks for the INFORMATIVE POSTS UNDUMMY.
In ref: to the 71141, and your response to my thread about the PS issues I was having.....does trannys that call for this fluid like a similar CST rating on the fluid ?

For example, the CST on the 71141 , should one match another brand with a similar CST rating ? These were the specs I was able to pull on the 71141

Viscosity @ 100ºC: 7.3 cSt (kinematic)
Viscosity @ 40ºC: 37 cSt (kinematic)
Viscosity @ -40ºC: 18,000 cP (dynamic)
Viscosity index: 168
density @ 15ºC: 853 kg/cubic meter
Flash Point: 215ºC
Pour Point: -54ºC
Volatility @ 200ºC: 5%
Foaming tendencies: S1= 10/0
S2= 30/0
S3= 0/0
FZG gear test = failed at stage 12 (of a possible 24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back