Pontiac 400 needs oil...what brand/weight??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tricked out a 1979 305 Q-jet and installed it in place of my model 1850 600 cfm Holley on my 327, and the engine has never run better!

Q-jets rule!
smile.gif

I was leaning twords an HDEO for the 327, and these posts kind of confirm my choice. Gotta love those old engines!
smile.gif

I manage a $1,000,000.00 car collection, we have The Amsoil Diesel marine 15W-40 in every car. Great storage oil. They all get ran at least once a month. Havn`t come up with an oil change interval yet, but it won`t be every year. If you do not want to run a synthetic, use a diesel oil, they used to have Dello 400 15W-40. But changed every year.

If the engine is rather newly rebuilt and uses no oil then I'd go with a good 10w30 dino, such as Pennzoil multigrage, and change it every 2K - 3K. It'll run better with the lighter stuff if you're driving it on short trips and just running around town. Only if the engine is a burnin' or you're runnin' 'er hard do you need 10w40 or heavier.

I'd go with Delo 400 or Rotella T 15w-40. For synthetic Mobil truck/suv 5w-40. HDEO 40 weights offer good HT/HS protection plus high levels of anti-wear additives; these are important for flat tappet cam/lifters and valve train components.

Q-jets are excellent carbs; they perform well and are easy to tune with their metering rod/hanger setup. My second choice would be Carter AVS/AFB and third would be Holley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back