Spark Plugs: NGK IX Iridium v. NGK Double Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if i'd be able to use the plats/iridiums in my car, when the service manual requires the copper ones (it only recommends the platinums for the Integra GS-R).

Quote:

I wonder if i'd be able to use the plats/iridiums in my car, when the service manual requires the copper ones (it only recommends the platinums for the Integra GS-R).

you should be able to but I noticed you have an Acura, so be careful with Denso Iridiums. This is something all honda/acura owners who want to use denso iridiums should read. I recently bought a set of denso Ir for my accord (which I was planning to use in my mdx as well if I liked them) but after a few miles on them I found out that they are NOT the 'extended projected tip' type plug that honda motors usually have. If you hold one side by side with a denso ir you will see that the denso ir is actually shorter from the seat to the ground electrode - meaning the spark will sit higher up in the combustion chamber instead of deeper inside as honda intended it to be.

Called denso, they said 'because they are more efficient'. Wasn't quite convinced so out go the densos and in go the ngks.

The copper is in the insulator, or core of the electrode. It is not a tip material. You can have copper plugs that are steel, platinum, or iridium.

The reason why I was confused was because the service manual didn't even list them as an option for my car, just the V-TEC version of my car (the GS-R). It just said to use the Copper ones for my car. I know the Integra can be kind of a fussy car with spark plugs, because I know a few people who used Champions and Bosch sparks and they didn't work as well in their application as the NGK's did.

I just changed the original AC (made by NGK) Iridiums in my Buick 3.1 at 80K miles while doing the i/m gasket. The originals still ran fine (and looked good) but it was a good opportunity to change them. I believe they can go 100K miles but I'd be concerned about removing them. As it was they came out fairly easy but the boots were a little difficult to get off.

Quote:

How do your spark plugs look at 50k? I'm hoping to get 60k out of mine without sacrificing gas mileage or performance...simply cuz I'd like to bundle the spark plugs with all the other 60k maintenance items.
smile.gif

The plugs looked very good, just a little wear. I'm sure I could have easily extended the mileage, but then, that's just me, I do everything on my Civic sooner than I have to.

Harry
driving.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back