Not open for further replies.
crazy.gif

Oil change every 7,500 miles is fine for some vehicles

I can`t help but step into this with both feet
laugh.gif
and quote from Wikipedia:

Quote:

The 3000 Mile Myth

The 3000 mile oil change interval has been pounded into people's heads for decades. It had a scientific basis when engines used non-multi-weight, non-detergent oil. It no longer has any scientific basis, but it is still being promoted by certain entities, most notably the oil change industry in the United States. This myth is also sometimes known as the "Cheap Insurance Myth."

The drain intervals here in Europe are longer than in the US. (I`m sure this have been pointed out here before though
blush.gif
)

Found a couple of pages:
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/lng_article/index.aspx
http://www.autoeducation.com/autoshop101/oil-change-9.htm

Quote:

According to GM's Mike McMillan, "Certainly there is technology available to raise the standard and extend the drain interval without compromising engine durability or removing the performance cushion ... Europe is already at a 9,000 mile drain interval and is seriously considering twice that". Of course, you have to remember that most vehicles in Europe are using synthetic oil.

Take my 1998 Renault Megane as an example:
(It`s not sold in the US, I believe, but it`s a car on size with the Ford Focus)

Owners manual states on oil change:
Mineral oil: Change every 7500 km OR six months.
Synthetic oil: Change every 15000 km OR twelve months.

For 1999 and newer cars, the km intervals were raised to 10000/20000 kms.

Of course, one MAY argue that those pesky French are advocating such long drain intervals because they want us to destroy our engines and buy a new car.
confused.gif

But as I tend to think that as the French automakers still are trying to get rid of the bad image they got themselfes into in the eighties,
laugh.gif
they wouldn`t risk that.
grin.gif

"A gereral statement I hope. What about the person who makes 1 mile trips to drop off/pickup the kids at school type."
5-6k with those as well, just not 8-13k like the highway driver.

My Dad's 1980 Ford Fairmont claimed a 10,000 mile OCI under highway use. They didn't have much to say about the thing's HP, etc, in brochures but compared it to a 1970 Ford that needed way more maintenance (probably new points and a tuneup every 12k too).

Ford can skirt the issue on both sides by issuing random press releases about ease of maintenance but not cracking down on dealers who recommend more frequent changes.

the 3k oci is fine for women and people who don't pop open their hood. I bet they can't say that though.

Yepp and the volvo amazon in the 60 had a 800 mile "lube interval" including all chassis luube points and motor oil. Gee, think about how close you would get with the oil change guy!

My '96 Audi S6 factory recommendation is 15000 km (9375 miles) or 1 year OCI with VW 500.00 oil (mineral oil). Severe service is half of that.
My '05 GM Opel Astra is up to 30 000 km or 2 years. OLM decides. That is on GM-LL-025A synthetic oil.

I'm running 3,000 mi OCIs on my wife's Hyundai due to the 100k mile warranty. Any thoughts on pouring the used oil in my old Dakota for another 3,000 miles since oil is supposed to be good for 6 or 7 k miles these days? Or am I nuts?

John

"A gereral statement I hope. What about the person who makes 1 mile trips to drop off/pickup the kids at school type."
5-6k with those as well, just not 8-13k like the highway driver.
Salesrep, I don't think this would be a problem. Even if this person were driving 1 mile to the school(personally, I would just walk) he/she would only do 364 miles a year. At that time the oil should be changed, anyway. In 364 miles, I don't think a lot of damage would occur.

My mum only drives to the store and back during winter. The oil itself seems fine, but inside the filler cap it collects a white/grey "foam", looks like milk shake. If the vehicle is driven for a couple of hours, it`s gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back