High Lead in 1995 PSD UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless the lead spikes dramatically run the Schaeffers 10k,and go fishing instead of changing oil, and sleep well. 11ppm is minute.

Do any of you feel my using a 203 degree thermostat with Evans waterless coolant be causing this High Lead issue?
blush.gif

Griz95

I am not following you here Steve S. What does the turbo bearings have to do with the coolant and thermostat?
confused.gif

I don't even know what the turbo bearings are made of on the 7.3L PSD...do you?

Steve, I am dumber than dirt when comes to turbos, but I didn't think the bearings in a turbo would be made out of lead...am I wrong?
confused.gif

Griz95

Griz, your 7.3 turbo is the old style journal bearing type, you have to upgrade to put in a ball bearing turbo. Typical material for these journal bearings from what I can find is brass. At least all the rebuild kits for the Garrett (which you have) turbos I have found include brass bearing inserts.

Thanks jmac...I was thinking the turbo bearings were made out of either brass or bronze. I didn't think because of the heat in that area, they would be made of Lead. But I really didn't know until now.
grin.gif

Yes, the 7.3L PSD uses a Garrett turbo which is a journal bearing turbo. The bearings are a brass alloy and would not show high lead in the UOA. The coolant temp also would not directly affect turbo performance or life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back