Oil Overfilled!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my oil changed at a local dealership up the road and checked it a few times before and noticed it read a bit high, and didn't think anything of it until i've been researching a bit more about the effects of overfilling. Here's a picture of the dipstick (on a cold engine):
p3210054vc2.jpg

I'm assuming that's probably overfull. I also noticed a little bit of a brushing noise whenever the engine's cold in the mornings, and seems to go away more as the engine warms up. Could this have anything to do with this overfilling? I just purchased the car 2 months ago so I don't know what it sounded like before I had the oil changed (had it done on the way home, actually!) My main question though, is how can I get some of the oil out without having to jack up the car and remove the drain plug or oil filter?
Here's some other shots for fun, of inside the engine from the filler hole:
p3210057hr7.jpg

p3210059dw5.jpg

p3210056ic0.jpg

I'm not a mechanic, or an expert by any means, but it seems pretty clean
smile.gif
But I won't know for sure until I pull the valve cover this weekend, if I get enough time to
smile.gif

D'oh, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum -_- sorry about that, mods. I must be more tired than usual tonight
laugh.gif

Last edited:
One way if you have no fluid extractor is to simply remove the oil filter and replace it. This applies only if you can GET TO your filter without jacking the car, if you have to jack it up, might as well just drain it.

Most filters hold quite a bit of oil. If you remove it and replace it with a new one, it could take around a pint out of your system. Use cheaper supertechs for this. If the first try doesnt take your level down, do it again.

That looks to be a good 1/2 quart over-full. It wont likely kill anything, but since you got it done at the dealer, i would take it back and ask them to make it right.

Does the owners manual recommend cold oil check?

If so, loosening oil filter will allow it too dump a reasonable amount into the parking lot.
If engine consumes oil, leave it alone.

My method of checking oil on every vehicle I've ever owned, typically per multiple owners manuals, is to get engine to normal operating temp, find a level surface(usually the gas station), shut her down, wait a few minutes(gas fillup time), and then check the oil while annoying the line of cars behind me!

Don't be surprised if 2-minutes after shutdown shows a perfect level, but looks grossly overfilled after vehicle sits overnight. IMO, running level check would be perfect. But, OEM engineers only think ATF needs a running level check.

hominid - That's correct
smile.gif
My family's been using Valvoline for as long as I can remember, and before I was born. Going to switch to Amsoil soon though. The engine consumes no oil at all. I checked it while it was hot a few days ago (not smart without gloves!) and it was still over the mark. I remember when I changed the oil in my last car, it recommended 4 qts. in the manual, I put 4 quarts in and it was high like in that picture of my new car. Didn't seem to hurt anything in that car, though. I'm planning on running Auto-RX soon, so i'll have to be taking the filter off soon anyways, so I think i'll just do it that way a couple of times until it's between the marks. Thanks everyone
smile.gif

Quote:

hominid - That's correct
smile.gif
My family's been using Valvoline for as long as I can remember, and before I was born. Going to switch to Amsoil soon though. The engine consumes no oil at all. I checked it while it was hot a few days ago (not smart without gloves!) and it was still over the mark. I remember when I changed the oil in my last car, it recommended 4 qts. in the manual, I put 4 quarts in and it was high like in that picture of my new car. Didn't seem to hurt anything in that car, though. I'm planning on running Auto-RX soon, so i'll have to be taking the filter off soon anyways, so I think i'll just do it that way a couple of times until it's between the marks. Thanks everyone
smile.gif

I dont mean to knock Amsoil or AutoRX, they are great products in certain applications, but i think in your case neither is needed. Your engine shows no signs of the slighest bit of varnish much less anything else. You have had such good luck with plain old valvoline, i would stick with what has been working. My previous car went over 225,000 miles (when i sold it) all on valvoline. Never burned a drop or had any issues at all with the engine, and i should add it was NOT driven gently at ALL.

Quote:

Does the owners manual recommend cold oil check?

If so, loosening oil filter will allow it too dump a reasonable amount into the parking lot.
If engine consumes oil, leave it alone.

My method of checking oil on every vehicle I've ever owned, typically per multiple owners manuals, is to get engine to normal operating temp, find a level surface(usually the gas station), shut her down, wait a few minutes(gas fillup time), and then check the oil while annoying the line of cars behind me!

Don't be surprised if 2-minutes after shutdown shows a perfect level, but looks grossly overfilled after vehicle sits overnight. IMO, running level check would be perfect. But, OEM engineers only think ATF needs a running level check.

The owner's manual and the service manual don't specify whether it has to be hot or cold. It just says to check when the engine's off.

Quote:

Quote:

hominid - That's correct
smile.gif
smile.gif

I dont mean to knock Amsoil or AutoRX, they are great products in certain applications, but i think in your case neither is needed. Your engine shows no signs of the slighest bit of varnish much less anything else. You have had such good luck with plain old valvoline, i would stick with what has been working. My previous car went over 225,000 miles (when i sold it) all on valvoline. Never burned a drop or had any issues at all with the engine, and i should add it was NOT driven gently at ALL.

I've been debating that a lot lately actually. The main reason I wanted to switch to synthetic was the cold start protection. I live in an area where it gets really really cold in the mornings, and thought I could use the extra protection. I wasn't so interested in the extended drains, because I enjoy maintaining my car and I don't mind changing it more often. It's just that I rarely put 3k miles on my car before 6 months, and thought the additives in the synthetic would help in that category as well. As for the Auto-RX, do you think a maintenance dosage would be more appropriate in my case?

Last edited:
Check oil cold. Don't start a cold engine (every start causes wear) waste gas and pollute the air getting a cold engine to operating temperature just to check the oil.
If you must check hot, wait until you drive somewhere, then check it several minutes after engine stop to allow the oil to drain to the sump.
The engine will not care if the oil is 1/2 inch too high. It's level will immediately be drawn down as soon as you start the engine.

Thanks Robert, I appreciate the advice. I think maybe next time i'll add 3.5 quarts instead of the 4 quarts the service manual recommends, and check it when it's cold and top it off as needed.

Here's something to think about:
My engine is cold for the 1st 3-5 minutes of runtime. Typically with 1-2hrs of driving time a day, whats more important to me, hot or cold level check? Hint, my engine is hot 90% of its running time.

If the MFG doesn't give specifics, then do whatever you want.

Also, drainback on engines, because of varnish, sludge, or inadequate drain passages, can be an issue. So a good level when cold might be overly low when running.

I've had oil change places under fill. Their little chart calls for 4.5 quarts and my engine take the full 5; 'cause I use an oversize filter.
Personally, I would NOT short fill an engine. If the book calls for 4 quarts, that's what I'd put in. Dipsticks could be wrong. Be sure to let it drain completely, though.(till it drips, instead of dribbles).
My 2¢

Quote:

...Also, drainback on engines, because of varnish, sludge, or inadequate drain passages, can be an issue. So a good level when cold might be overly low when running.

Good point! Another reason I always keep my oil at the top fill line.
But I will never start a cold engine to warm it for oil or transmission fluid level checks, or to warm the vehicle for my own comfort.
I check after driving somehwere.
I know people who will start a cold engine, drive to a gas station, refuel and drive home!!

Third, I would add four quarts as the manufacturer directs.
Your dipsick could be off. A new empty filter will fill and they know that.

It could be, or it could just be the way it was designed. I noticed that once you slide it down the little metal tube beneath the heat shield between the header, you can push it down a couple of clicks, until it doesn't go down any further, similar to the dipstick on the ATF. I'm assuming they make it click down like that so dirt doesn't get down the dip stick area.

Alright, well I guess i'll stick to what the service manual says: 4 quarts at oil change w/filter. I'll see how it looks when I do that
smile.gif

my 2001 civic 1.7, if you had what the manufacturer says, it looks overfilled also....
which is fine...except i taught the little woman how to check her oil....then all #@$%! breaks loose.

There was a post from someone on this site about one of his relations who used to fill the crankcase with oil until it was up to the top of the fill hole in the valve cover
shocked.gif
. The gentleman got the car to around 200k that way before he sold it.
While I personally would not advocate that scenerio, drive on, don't worry, and next time you take it in tell the dealer that they overfilled it last time and see if you can get a discount on the next change.
smile.gif

Or change it yourself from now on, and enjoy the peace of mind knowing it was done right.

By the way, engine looks great from the fill hole pics. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back