BG 44K worth it? Chemist asks why so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chemist friend confronts what could possibly be in BG 44K that could ju$tify $20/can?
Is it really worth it?
Would more doses of less expensive cleaners do as well?
Or is it better to not buy additives and instead purchase higher quality gasolines which have detergent additives: In Denver we have Shell, Phillips 66, BP, Conoco, 7-11, Safeway.
Thank you,

no more bp and we have also sinclair..shell uses no ethanol after feb.and starts ethanol in nov.the rest of use ethanol all year long...thats why i use shell here in denver

Quote:

Is it really worth it?

It's probably overkill for most applications. I'd rather run 2 consecutive runs of Regane (which is free after rebate often), than run some super duper concentrated version of Techron for 20 bucks. I think BG44k changed its formula so it might contain something other than Techron now, but not sure.

I do think BG44K is really strong (and expensive). Unless a person is having some serious problems two doses of Regane, Techron, or Redline might be a real good idea.

Quote:

Chemist friend confronts what could possibly be in BG 44K that could ju$tify $20/can?
Is it really worth it?
Would more doses of less expensive cleaners do as well?
Or is it better to not buy additives and instead purchase higher quality gasolines which have detergent additives: In Denver we have Shell, Phillips 66, BP, Conoco, 7-11, Safeway.
Thank you,

I can't support 44K. I think it is a profit center not a better product than Redline, Techron, Regane, FP60 /3000.

Regular use of a quality fuel system cleaner should pre-empt the need for hevi-duty solvents like BG 44K.

Here's my favorite Techron Link with pictures of injector spray patterns and inlet valves that are suffering from fuel related deposit build-up.

I've used a lot of BG 44K over the years. I don't think it works any better than other similar first cabin products. Techron and RedLine seem to work every bit as good to me.

Of the three I like RedLine the best.

Quote:

no more bp and we have also sinclair..shell uses no ethanol after feb.and starts ethanol in nov.the rest of use ethanol all year long...thats why i use shell here in denver

Thanks Tom. Yes, what happened to BP? Isn't ethanol prefered to reduce air pollution? I'd like to patronize the Shell near us, but it is always so expensive.

Quote:

Thank you for this very answer - makes PERFECT sense now why I always get better mpg with Shell and my truck runs better on it too; except the winter gas.

I once used 1 round of BG44 in 2 different vehicles, didn't notice a difference before or after.

hi robert, bp moved out of colorado..the one here foothills was replaced with conoco..the newer cars are so clean that ethanol makes the mpg worse with ethanol it fools the o2 sensors...i like shell..

Ethanol does not fool any sensors.
Most cars don't run as clean as many think.

Ethanol has lower BTUs per gallon, and it requires a different air/fuel ratio, compresion ratio, cam and ignition timing to be perfect. When simply doping gas 10%, you make up for the poor A/F ratio that most cars are tuned with and they'll run cleaner, have less carbon buildup, improved emissions, less fuel freezing issues, cleaner injectors....... But, normal gasoline vehicles are tuned inferior and are no way optimized for ethanol's properties.

BG44k's price is based on supply and demand. Its not a retail products. For years it was difficult to find(profit builder for shops dealers only). Now that online stores and online auctions carry it, its priced has dropped considerably.

I also don't recommend BG44k as a regularly treatment. Regane, Redline, Techron, Amsoil, Seafoam, B12......are cheaper to use 3-4 times a year. My recommendation for BG44k is a dose in the 40-80k intervals or every 2-4 years in place of one of the above.

I still find BG44k to be very effective. I don't care whether someone claims the formula or MSDS has changed or not. It, IMO, is one of the best and effective ways to clean the fuel system and decarbon everything downstream!

Quote:

Ethanol does not fool any sensors.
Most cars don't run as clean as many think.

Ethanol has lower BTUs per gallon, and it requires a different air/fuel ratio, compresion ratio, cam and ignition timing to be perfect. When simply doping gas 10%, you make up for the poor A/F ratio that most cars are tuned with and they'll run cleaner, have less carbon buildup, improved emissions, less fuel freezing issues, cleaner injectors....... But, normal gasoline vehicles are tuned inferior and are no way optimized for ethanol's properties.

BG44k's price is based on supply and demand. Its not a retail products. For years it was difficult to find(profit builder for shops dealers only). Now that online stores and online auctions carry it, its priced has dropped considerably.

I also don't recommend BG44k as a regularly treatment. Regane, Redline, Techron, Amsoil, Seafoam, B12......are cheaper to use 3-4 times a year. My recommendation for BG44k is a dose in the 40-80k intervals or every 2-4 years in place of one of the above.

I still find BG44k to be very effective. I don't care whether someone claims the formula or MSDS has changed or not. It, IMO, is one of the best and effective ways to clean the fuel system and decarbon everything downstream!

Would you recommend it even if you are not having any known issues with your engine?

Yes, if you have E10 available, I would recommend it if you don't mind the mild MPG drop. I'll also push toptier fuel if available. But, I wouldn't go out of my way or drive to the next town for them. Fuel choice should not be a hassle. Noone should fear E10 or busy non-toptier gas.

I'm not a farmer and don't even care about subsidizing pro-enviro hippies. E10 here seems to make up for owners fuel system neglect. I think it works well with for typical US consumers. I'll also take E10 over MTBE any day. Hopefully some of the funds and revenue from ethanol will allow butanol research derived from the same crops. Butanol would eliminate that MPG drop from ethanol, and doesn't need any special fuel system(FFV) or percentage limits like ethanol.

If you decide to stick with E10, or are forced to use it, consider an UCL. Even a low low dose should make up for alcohols reduced lubricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back