K&N oil filter dimensions & new info

Status
Not open for further replies.
For years now I've wondered why K&N doesn't put the dimensional info for its oil filters in its catalogues. That info is now available online. If you have the filter number, using the HP-1010 as an example—

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HP-1010

—the page gives the diameter and length and links to vehicle applications and cross-references. However, the thread and gasket dimensions still do not appear. For other oil filters, substitute the correct numbers after the "HP" in the URL.

Poking around gives interesting results. Years back on another BITOG thread, I wondered why there was no K&N oil filter for the Ford 2.0 ZETEC four, which is used in several US vehicles. Now there is: KN-1012. The KN-1000 series was extended from 10 through 12.

The interesting news is that K&N is beginning to get into cartridge-style oil filter cartridge replacements, though clearly there is no bulletproof case available for these applications. The HP-7003 is available for certain Cadillac models, and the HP-7009 is for the Ford light truck 6.0 diesel. On the website, the other 7000 series pages for HP-7001 through -7013 are set up ready for the info to be added, implying that more products will be released in this series—presumably more cartridges.

Enjoy.
cool.gif

Managed to get a copy of the '07 K&N full-line catalogue and just browsed through it looking for new numbers. As mentioned, no oil filter dimensions are available through the printed catalogue. Looks as if cartridge oil filters are coming for several newer vehicles, but the info isn't yet available through the website:

HP-7000: several GM including Chevrolet Cobalt
HP-7001: Saturn, Cadillac Catera
HP-7002: Volvo
HP-7003: Cadillacs as mentioned
HP-7004: Mercedes-Benz
HP-7005: VW, Audi
HP-7006: BMW, Land Rovers built just before Ford takeover
HP-7007: BMW
HP-7008: Mercedes-Benz 2.3-liter four
HP-7009: Ford 6.0-liter truck diesel as mentioned
HP-7010: Audi, new VW Rabbit
HP-7011: Porsche
HP-7012: MINI, Chrysler PT Cruiser with smaller engine
No 7000 series listings past -7012

The HP-1000 series has been extended through -1017, not just -1012. HP-1001 through -1010 have been around a while, but -1011 and higher 1000 series numbers are newer:

HP-1011: GMC/Chevrolet 8.1-liter truck V-8
HP-1012: Ford ZETEC as mentioned
HP-1013: not assigned
HP-1014: Land Rover (by Ford), Jaguar, Ford Thunderbird, Lincoln LS
HP-1015: Subaru
HP-1016: not assigned
HP-1017: newest GM small-block V-8s including Corvette, pickups
No 1000 series listings past -1017

I tried to find something about the skipped numbers using Mobil 1 info. Usually Mobil 1 filter M1-abc crosses to K&N HP-a0bc (change "M1" to "HP" and add a zero after the first digit). M1-113 exists but "HP-1013" does not; "M1-116" does not seem to exist. The cross for M1-113 appears to be the HP-1017, and there does not seem to be a corresponding "M1-117". Perhaps K&N sought some change in dimensions compared to the M1-113, hence the number difference. (Mobil 1 oil filter dimensions are hard to come by too.)

Hope this helps somebody.
wink.gif

Helped me. I know that M1-209 fits and matches in place of the dinky standard filter for the 4.7L UZJ engine in my Toyota Landcruiser but I didn't know it's dimensions. Used your trick M1-209 = HP2009 and got the K&N specs. Used these to determine the best Amsoil Eao filter to upsize to. Turns out the EaO34 fits the bill with the only difference being a bypass at 7-10 instead of 8-11.

Good info. I've noticed other websites with the same 'URL modding' for PN info.

I know that the 4.7L easily takes the M1-209 over that smaller stock filter. I also have a couple Tundras/Sequoias running the M1-301 size which would be Amsoil EA015.

Quote:

For years now I've wondered why K&N doesn't put the dimensional info for its oil filters in its catalogues. That info is now available online. If you have the filter number, using the HP-1010 as an example—

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HP-1010

—the page gives the diameter and length and links to vehicle applications and cross-references. However, the thread and gasket dimensions still do not appear. For other oil filters, substitute the correct numbers after the "HP" in the URL.

Poking around gives interesting results. Years back on another BITOG thread, I wondered why there was no K&N oil filter for the Ford 2.0 ZETEC four, which is used in several US vehicles. Now there is: KN-1012. The KN-1000 series was extended from 10 through 12.

The interesting news is that K&N is beginning to get into cartridge-style oil filter cartridge replacements, though clearly there is no bulletproof case available for these applications. The HP-7003 is available for certain Cadillac models, and the HP-7009 is for the Ford light truck 6.0 diesel. On the website, the other 7000 series pages for HP-7001 through -7013 are set up ready for the info to be added, implying that more products will be released in this series—presumably more cartridges.

Enjoy.
cool.gif

Thanks, it helped me find out what the media is...... resin-impregnated paper.
frown.gif

Sure wish I found this site before I bought 6 K&Ns for my Honda (HP-1004)

-Bob

Some further notes:

The newest K&N oil filters in the 1000 series after HP-1011 do not follow the old rule about converting Mobil 1 numbers to K&N numbers. The M1-abc to HP-a0bc formula breaks down on the newest filters:

M1-112 crosses to HP-1015 (Subaru); HP-1012 has different applications

M1-113 crosses to HP-1017 (new GM SB V8), as already posted; no "HP-1013" exists

M1-211 crosses to HP-1012 (Ford ZETEC); no "HP-2011" exists

I can't find a Mobil 1 application online for the late-model Jaguar/Land Rover/Ford Thunderbird that the HP-1014 covers. Will dig through Auto Zone data to try to find whether a Mobil 1 filter for these vehicles has appeared. The HP-1014 is brand new, just having appeared a month or so ago.

Another new filter without online specs is the HP-1018 for NASCAR racing applications. It is apparently the same physical size as the Ford filter HP-3001, to judge from the box dimensions. Just sent a question to K&N technical to find what the differences are and will post the results.

According to another online forum, Mobil 1 is discontinuing the M1-202 (= HP-2002) and replacing it with the M1-111 (= HP-1011). The HP-2002 is still available, at least for now. But how long will Champion Labs make a filter for K&N when its Mobil 1 counterpart is gone and equivalents are available?

Oddly enough, though K&N has made its filter dimensions and applications available online, Mobil 1 does not currently seem to have anything comparable online, and none of the online sellers has a search engine that I can find that works to give Mobil 1 filter part numbers for specific applications. Poking around the Mobil 1 website did not give anything but generic info for the whole oil filter line. Seems like a strange omission. It's enough to make someone want to use Amsoil filters instead.
wink.gif

As before, hope this helps somebody.
smile.gif

The most recent catalogues at the local Auto Zone do not show a Mobil 1 filter for the newer Jaguars and Land Rovers (since Ford takeover). But one might conceivably just have been introduced, as was the HP-1014. This filter is an oddball, as it has a 1"-12 thread, larger than in most automotive and light truck applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back