Expert advice on Oil / OCI '07 Subari Impreza 2.5i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a '07 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition for my daughter who will be attending university in Washington. The AWD might not be needed, but being southern, Southern California residents, I figured better safe than sorry.

Been a Ford man 95% of my driving years, advice on treating the Subaru well would be appreciated. Probably not any difference, but here is the place to ask.

How soon to change the oil on the vehicle? OCI's and oil type for mostly short trip driving....winter months are cool.

Thanks in advance

Change the oil at 7k oci, with a good synthetic. IE:Castrol Syntec. The owners manual tells you everything you need.

Last edited:
I would go with their severe service OCI, and use any 5w-30 if it uses no oil, GC or RTS if it uses some oil. Subarus are generally easy on oil, so following the normal service OCI with a good synthetic isn't a bad idea either.

offtopic.gif

I know before saying the following that this will tick off someone, it always does...

AWD will do no good in the snow if she doesn't know how to drive in it, which undoubtedly she doesn't. This is a very common misconception. Tires are far more important in the big picture. A good set of four snow tires on a FWD car handles better than an AWD Subaru with the OEM junk on it, BTDT. Some will misunderstand my comments as saying that AWD doesn't make a difference, it does, just not as much as most believe. It drastically increases understeer at low speeds in extremely slippery conditions, and it gives a false sense of security. It may improve handling some, but I find most people more than make up for that with false confidence. Most of the vehicles I see in the ditch have AWD or 4WD. Anecdotal for sure, but I've spent years commuting long-distance in snow country. We run AWD/4WD + 4 studded snows. I leave my Jeep in 2WD 99% of the time and just counter-steer as needed.

I would have bought her a used Corolla and 4 Nokians.

hide.gif

Subaru tends to be easy on oil...especially the non-turbo ones. I run 7-8000 miles with Pennzoil Platinum on the highway, and I could easily go longer (according to my UOA's). And I will, once my warranty is over.

Thanks for the oil advice so far and also on the use of snow tires. I would have no problem either having her put on snow tires on the stock alloys or just buy a set of rims for them. BTW more rain than snow where she is going, but it does snow.

I am under no illusion that AWD will turn her into a rally driver, but she is smart, sensible and coordinated so she should do ok.

Maybe just marketing, but I'll take what safety the AWD, air bags, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc. the Subaru has to offer and sleep a little better at night...and snow tires if needed.

Given that the car is mostly driven on short trips, in a cool but not cold climate, I would suggest the first oil change at 1000-1500 miles, and subsequent changes at 3000-3500 miles (or every 6 months, whichever comes first). Use 5w30 year round. For these intervals, dino should be OK.

I use Pennzoil Platinum in my Subaru, but did use Castrol non-synthetic for the first 8000 miles.

Quote:

Well, I am partial to Motorcraft 5w20 Syn Blend and it may be a good option for you but that is what I would recommend.

5W20 is not approved by Subaru for use in their engines. Since the car is new and under warranty, use what Subaru recommends: 5W30

Replace oil and filter every 7500 mi or six (?) months, whichever comes first, with 5W30 dino oil and the cheapest filters. Regardless of what you hear, it really won't make a difference.

I would go with a synthetic like Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. You never know.... she might "forget" and go 10,000 miles without changing the oil.

I've run the factory oil out to 3K and then switched over to a 0W-30 or 5W-30 synthetic at 7K OCI's with PureOne or Mobil 1 oil filters.

I would use Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Syntec, Mobil 1, Valvoline Synpower in a 5W-30

Better yet would Redline 5W-30 this should take high temps and hard driving the best... 9K OCI up to 10K OCI.

I used German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 [ green GC ] at 7K OCI's and it worked fine.

I just switched to ELF Excellium Full Tech 0W-30 and I am really suprised how much better the engine runs on the ELF 0W-30 vs the GC 0W-30.

I think I'll run this out to 10K OCI.

Head Gaskets and coolant levels are the bif issue with the Subie motors. I use only Subaru Coolant and the Subaru coolant additive and make sure that I keep the coolant level full, and check the radiator caps. And make sure to never overheat the engine.

FOLLOW the manual for the warrenty just in case you have any problems.

I just bought a 07 Outback and they have fixed the Head Gasket issues it seems.

BUT, the last thing unless I have a FEW UOAs I'd be doing is extended oil changes. And then only start to try extended OCIs AFTER the warrenty period is over..

I changed out my factory fill @ 1200 miles with a supertech filter and Pennzoil 5w-30 conventional oil. I plan to go to 4000 miles then change again with same.

Then @ 8k, I'll put in Pennzoil PP 5w-30 which I bought for 99 cents a quart and run that out to 15k. Get another UOA and see where we are at.

Looking at the Subaru motors, ANY oil is going to be fine. I will do a UOA on conventional Pennzoil after the PP to compare.

When it comes time to change out the anti freeze, I will be using the Subaru additive with whatever anti freeze meets the specs.

With the WA weather, I'd go with 5w-30 with no problems year round.

You made a good choice with the Subaru! I'm impressed so far.
thumbsup.gif

Look at changing both diffs soon! My rear one was terrible at only 500 miles.
shocked.gif

I've put in Supertech 75w-90 GL5 oil in both and @5k, I'll be putting in some Amsoil 75w-90 GL5 oil from Pablo. I'll take that to 60k miles and repeat.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

FOLLOW the manual for the warrenty just in case you have any problems.

I just bought a 07 Outback and they have fixed the Head Gasket issues it seems.

BUT, the last thing unless I have a FEW UOAs I'd be doing is extended oil changes. And then only start to try extended OCIs AFTER the warrenty period is over..

I changed out my factory fill @ 1200 miles with a supertech filter and Pennzoil 5w-30 conventional oil. I plan to go to 4000 miles then change again with same.

Then @ 8k, I'll put in Pennzoil PP 5w-30 which I bought for 99 cents a quart and run that out to 15k. Get another UOA and see where we are at.

Looking at the Subaru motors, ANY oil is going to be fine. I will do a UOA on conventional Pennzoil after the PP to compare.

When it comes time to change out the anti freeze, I will be using the Subaru additive with whatever anti freeze meets the specs.

With the WA weather, I'd go with 5w-30 with no problems year round.

You made a good choice with the Subaru! I'm impressed so far.
thumbsup.gif

Look at changing both diffs soon! My rear one was terrible at only 500 miles.
shocked.gif

I've put in Supertech 75w-90 GL5 oil in both and @5k, I'll be putting in some Amsoil 75w-90 GL5 oil from Pablo. I'll take that to 60k miles and repeat.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Nothing wrong with Bill's advice! He tends to be more conservative and frugal than I am.
wink.gif
I thyink they fixed the head gasket problems as well, but I treat the car as if they haven't.

7000 miles on synthetic should qualify as meeting warranty requirement. Subaru says 7500 miles / 3750 miles for 'severe' service.

Companies like Mobil 1 say to use the normal drain interval even though nearly every driver profile fits the 'severe' definition.

If you go the non-synthetic route then look at 3750 mile oil intervals and pay attention to the vioscosity charts.

I've been using a 'thick' 0W-30 synthetic with GC and now ELF Excellium [ both meet ACEA A-3 ] So I feel comfortable with GC or ELF 0W-30 or Redline 5W-30 or 5W-40.

But for conventional oils I'd use 5W-30 for the winter and see if the load or ambient temps required a higher viscosity oil for hot weather or towing.

A 5W-40 or higher is called for in Subaru charts. I think Las Vegas level desert heat called for 20W-50!

I used Redline 75W-90 in the rear diff and I've used 3 different manual transmission fluids in our two 2005 Outbacks and 2003 Outbacks:

- Specialty Formulations MTL,

- Redline 75W-90NS

- Amsoil SVG 75W-90

They all worked well, and I'd rate them in the order listed from top to bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back