The Oil of the Snake Strikes again???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have planned on doing several UOA's with and without a couple of additives. Anywho, I stumbled across a site today that describes Ceratec (one that I will be using)

http://www.ferret.com.au/articles/5f/0c04485f.asp

The site says Ceratec is based on Boron Nitrate...Dammit doesn't Boron already come in OIL, is this stuff just a Boron Boost?
crazy.gif
laugh.gif
shocked.gif
smirk.gif
confused.gif

Well not necessarily snake oil, but a mighty expensive add if it doesnt do anything more than the boron already in a good oil.

boron nitride is like molybdenum disulfide, its an incredible friction reducer and protects against cold startup and wear. the boron in the oil is NOT nitride, its usually in amine form and works synergisticly with ZDDP and other compounds. boron nitride works on its own, and doesnt provide oxidation protection. boron compounds are also used as dispersants in oil.

last 2 times i tried to buy ceratec it was sold out, settled for moly disulfide instead, which is cheaper.

Why do you need a friction reducer ? it does not coat all your oil lubricated rotated parts as it (like oil) skips over contaminants. They don'r help with lubrication since there application is so uneven. There additive packages dedigrate quickly.

Clean your engine internally and go to Walmarts for "Super Tech" the combination will do a better job of reducing friction, cost less and is safe.

LM Ceratec says the effects last for 50K km, thats almost 32000 miles. How can this be if it does not stick to engine parts, I certainly aint gonna do a 30,000 OCI.

The label makes no mention of whether this means with or w/o dumping the oil.

Can also be found under the name Cerflon. Several threads about it here already.

Its only a waste of money if you can prove that it didn't work. BTW, my Cerflon'd liquidwrench works great.

Wow! It says it will protect up to 1200C!!!! (2192F) That means it must be good, right? If it is in a mineral oil base how does it work up to that temperature. The oil would be coked totally IMHO! Where do they get these claims? The link has another link to Motor Protect that says causes smoother gear changes, longer gearbox, transmission and differential life. I suppose they mean if you put it in those devices, but they call it Motor Protect... Very creative add writers....
stirthepot.gif

boron nitride is a solid lube that has loe friction properties it will burnish into metal surface and softer bearing material oily or not.

BUT is is exspensive and IMHO still may have settling out and filter clogging issues BUT it will lube very well.
bruce

Quote:

It sticks to engine parts that are not coated with any contaminants. Please read above post.

Frank, I've already done to ARX applications, so my internals ought to be clean.

submicron solid particle friction reducers have been tested by TUV and proven to work. the tested additive was molybdenum disulfide, and the results were 10% less wear than just the oil, plus increased fuel economy and overall lowered emissions (carbon monoxide increased, but everything else decreased)

and no i dont remember where i saw that, but thats the fact jack.

also with the constant flow of oil in the engine, if there was any settling out after sitting for a while, it would get mixed up pretty well in no time.

Quote:

I have planned on doing several UOA's with and without a couple of additives.
(snip)
The site says Ceratec is based on Boron Nitrate...Dammit doesn't Boron already come in OIL, is this stuff just a Boron Boost?

I typically see 30-50 ppm of Boron in my Delvac 1 UOA. I'd be interested in seeing a UOA of Delvac or any other oil with the Ceratec oil additive, and to hear any anecdotal evidence that it's worth using.

yup, and thats quite a bit.

moly disulfide needs only a microthin layer of a few molecules to be effective, and embeds itself into the microfissures in the metal. a few hours of operation cause a rapid reduction in operating friction. i used a double dose first time around, and now im only using 1 can (450mL) per 7.5L of oil.

my oil currently has a gray coloration due to the moly, and is VERY slick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back