cleaner for a stuck oil pres relief valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a post in the Mechanical forum about a oil pressure problem in my 94 Toyota Camry. I am starting to think the problem is a sticking oil pressure relieve valve given the symptoms. (Start engine cold , pressure goes to 15 lbs and stays regardless of RPM. Turn engine off then start again and pressure runs between 20 and 50 depending upon RPM. This has happened the last two mornings I have tried it with my mechanical gauge installed).

So I am thinking I have something (sludge, varnish) in the oil pressure relief valve causing it to stick.

What to try to clean things, MMO or Amsoil Flush or AutoRx. Maybe one for the short term and another product for the longer term?

Can it be cleaned by any flush or cleaner?

Try a full and complete run of auto-rx, it is more likely to fix your problem than mmo, or amsoil.
And meanwhile, you will clean your engine.

Autorx might take too long. Sounds like you may have a clogged oil pump intake. I would try something like a cleaning solvent like rislone. You need something that will disolve that quickly.

On second thought...the Amsoil flush is a strong solvent and may even work better. You should ask that Amsoil guy Pablo.

I viewed your thread in the Mechanical forum & see some good comments by the members.

The oil pump has to be another possible cause, as wear or a failing o-ring maybe causing the pump to loose prime.

But if you wish to follow-up with the stuck/clogged theory, drain the Amsoil & refill with some low cost rinse oil & use something like a cheap SuperTech filter.

Add 16-32 oz of kerosene or mineral spirits - the basic ingredients of many flushes - to the cranbkcase & idle for 5 minutes.

Drain & remove the cheap filter & refill with the Amsoil and your normal filter.

If sludge or carbon deposits are the problem, examination of the drain oil pan should provide a positive indication.

With the engine cold add 1 can of B-12 Chemtool available at Walmart,AutoZone and Advanced Auto in most area's. It comes 1 pint steel cans. Start vechile and idle at about 1500 RPM's for 15-30 minutes then drain and refill with fresh oil and filter. Now if you are a little mechanical you can simply remove the bolt from the side of the timeing cover the holds your oil pressure relief spring,piston in place. Take a small mop or brass cleaning brush and some solvent and clean the bore that the bypass piston ride in. If it is simply varnish B12 will melt it away with very little work on your part. This is safer since you are limiting the amount of B12 in the engine and you are going right to the source. If the bore is so worn though that the piston is geting cocked/tilted int he bore then no amount of cleaning will do and a new timeing cover and pump are in order. If your engine does not use a gerotor design let me know.

After this it would be a good idea to order some Auto-Rx and let it do some deep cleaning in the engine!

I'm with JohnBrowning on this one. Berrymans B12 Chemtool is the first thing I thought of. And after mulling it over think it is still the best way to unstick a relief valve. I prefer the second method John provided, the the first method is also solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back