VW now recommending 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I read on another message board that VW is now recommending 0w20 on one (or more) of it's new cars. Is this true? Which vehicles now recommend 0w20?

They didn't say which vehicles. They mentioned something about a VW 515 spec? I'm not familiar with all the VW specs, so I was hoping one of you guys knew about it.

Current VWs are subject to a VW Gruppe standard called "503.00" Although I don't have a VW, I use an oil (Mobil 1 0W-40) that meets this standard. There are NO 0W-20 oils on this list, and under no circumstances would I consider using such an oil in a turbocharged model such as the 2.0T FSI engine. There is a .pdf file floating around on the Internet of the VW list of oils that meet this standard. You can probably find it somewhere if you look around.....

Nah.... VW isn't recommending 0w20 for anything. They have made the move to a 5w30 with the adoption of their latest spec.

Quote:

Current VWs are subject to a VW Gruppe standard called "503.00" Although I don't have a VW, I use an oil (Mobil 1 0W-40) that meets this standard.

VW has abandoned low HTHS oils. None of the latest VW engines is designed for low-HTHS VW 503.00 oil, but for either VW 504, VW 502 or VW 505.01.

M1 0W-40 meets VW 503.01 and VW 502 and cannot meet VW 503.00 (which is in my opinion a good thing!).

I wonder what the ifference between rotella and helix is.?
Most of the oils on the approved list I have never seen before, or to say the least are less than familiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back