GC now made in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, old thread, sorry to dig it up. But I was in an AZ here in Las Vegas and saw something funny about one of the GC bottles they still had in stock. It was definately a current shaped bottle with the "hex-nut" cap, RED banner (not yellow) with the 0W-30 designation, API sunburst donut with SL rating, but no "Made in Germany" anywhere. In fact, on the back it said "made in USA from imported and domestic products". No date code on the bottom but I did sneak the bottle open. All green and smelling like the "german" bear. Now I know the difference between the old US fomula and newer GC stuff and this was definately NOT the old US ____. Its not a "Katrina" bottle either. It was stuck in between the 13 M06 bottles they still had left. I took a few pictures and will try to get them posted up here if the interest warrants. Seeing that its becoming a dying breed, it may be a moot point, but still intriguing none the less. BTW, bought the other 13
grin.gif

my god, you're focused on this particular oil! Is it really that über-good or is it just the fact that it is hard to find that tickles everyone?
Good luck on the hunt, this is really funny to follow.
BTW, the idea of asking the Castrol guys where to find larger batches sounds easier. But that would be like going to the supermarket instead of the fishing boat, right?
wink.gif

Did the back of the bottle list any specifications? I know there's some M02xx out there with red badging that is indeed made in USA, pre-GC. But it only lists A1 and a handful of other specs, but no mention of ACEA A3 or any VW specs.

92saturnsl2-I will check, I'm sure the bottle is still there. Didn't seem dusty enough to be M02 but dunno
dunno.gif
. I can send you the pics via email as I don't have a way to host them.

lars11-In order; yes, yes and yes. I have enough in my stash for another 2 years or so and no longer activily searching, but just couldn't resist. Basically stumbled upon it while vacationing here. The other things I'm doing here in Vegas will stay in Vegas
grin.gif

Update-Went back and checked the bottle more closely. It's probably M02 stuff with the red banner. Had only ACEA A1 and BMW LL-98 ratings, no other Euro approvals. API SL and ISLAC GF-3 so it seems to be dated stuff. Oh well, still was interesting.

German/Gold/Green Castrol is not made in the US. Who started this thread, anyway?

Not sure about now, but as of about six months ago Autozone only had one stock number for Castrol 0w30. So they had no f'ing idea whether they had one liter or 10,000 liters of GC. Or if they still had stock of non-GC left over from 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back