GC now made in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got 5 more Quarts of GC. They actually had two different styles of bottles but both had the same write up and made in Germany. After I pulled the 5th bottle off the rack the next bottle in line looked totally different. Closer inspection revealed Made in USA. Yes it was 0w-30. It had a completely diferent write up on the label. I now says "energy conserving" in the donut, but lost some of it's credentials such as BMW LL-01 and others. I am kinda new to this GC forum so if this is already known---sorry.

Todd:

Please review the pinned threads on this stuff. There's a lot of old pre-GC out there still collecting dust on the shelves. The way to tell for sure is to check the batch number on the bottom of the bottle. The first version of GC, the stuff with the green hue as it comes out of the bottle, was made from late 2002 through very early 2005. Since then, it's still been "GC" but it lost the greenish color (hence the name "Gold GC" you see around here). The pre-GC should have the grade, 0w-30 on the front outlined in yellow. The German stuff will have it outlined in red. There were reports of a small amount of the last American made stuff coming with the red outlined grade spec, but I've never seen any myself. The litmus test is the batch code stamped on the bottom. Please check that bottle and post it back here. From that, we can tell what you've got. Thanks.
cheers.gif

perhaps the massive buyup we are all doing in respose to a discontinuation will make them think its selling like hotcakes and bring it back with a vengence!!

The high priced marketing people are way too smart to look at what people are buying. There's always more money in starting a new campaign or just changing something. A marketing man would never say it's a good product and everything is going just fine, call me if you need me. I think it will be difficult at best to guess what Castrol will do with their European Formula German 0w-30. The fact that it may be a very good product with wide application at a reasonable price may have nothing to do with its future. I'm going to buy ahead a little because I use the stuff in one of my cars and would very much like to continue. I wonder if, since Castrol is a site sponsor one of the admin guys would be able to find a contact within Castrol that could answer some questions.

I am now having trouble finding German Castrol. Cleaned out about five stores and now they are either out or only have 01 USA stuff. Went in 1 store, nothing but USA, snuck into the back room found 2 cases of German. They looked at me funny when I went to the counter.

Quote:

I too am amazed at how often the 01 USA stuff shows up - even out here.

I haven't even seen the green since the gold came out. Maybe because I only shop at 2 AZ's and don't hit every AZ in my state like the hoarders do.
smile.gif

-Dennis

Quote:

I am now having trouble finding German Castrol. Cleaned out about five stores and now they are either out or only have 01 USA stuff. Went in 1 store, nothing but USA, snuck into the back room found 2 cases of German. They looked at me funny when I went to the counter.

I think I got most of the green GC in SD county last year. sorry
dunno.gif

I didn't try checking in backrooms and I haven't been back to most of the stores to see what they restocked with. I posted a big list of SD stores in the Cali hitlist thread.

I found 8 qts of Green today theres lots of gold but now I'm picky so I wont buy it, I have 13 green and 7 gold.
I kinda feel like a wacko pack rat, people will buy anything if you say its the last of it.

lol, so there is still green to be found in the world? I'll have to do some rounds and see if I come up with any. It's been about a year since I last tried to gather some green (over 20 qts still on shelf in garage,)

If you want some of the M02* batch, head to Aurora and hit the Autozone located off of Colfax (east of I225). I picked up eight bottles a couple of weeks ago ... massive dust on the bottles. They had quite a bit left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back