BMW e39 wheels on BMW e34? good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering a set of common 16 inch BMW e39 crossspoke wheels for my 1005 525i BMW e34.

The stock 225x60x15 size tire is becoming harder to find in preminum tires. I just want to go a wheel slightly larger with a wider range of available tires. May use the old wheels for winter tires.

However, I am concerned about hubcenteric rings required for the e34. The big question is do hubcentric rings solve (long term) any potential/vibration/shimmy problems? (Archives hint at problems) Also plastic or metal rings and best source. Do I need different lug bolt?

I also understand (archives and others) there are other wheels that will fit such as some 7 series wheels. No 3 series wheels will fit. Looking for advice and opinions. TIA

Do you have to stick with BMW rims? The reason I ask is that for example TireRack sells a lot of aftermarket rims, and they have tested them so you know that what they recommend will work on your car. In addition, they include hub rings and a new set of lugbolts which eliminates the headache of having to look for them elsewhere.

As far as I know, e39 is the only platform that uses unusually large center bore, so most likely you would need hubrings if you were to put e39 rims on your e34. That said, there is nothing wrong with using hubrings. I used them on my previous car without any vibration/shimmy problems.

Looks like most of the wheels for my car on Tirerack use rings. At least those that I looked at. There may be others. Good point though. I can buy used (oem and aftermarket) BMW wheels on ebay often for a reasonable price, particulary the 16 inch size. Just starting to look.

Thanks again.

Quote:

Looks like most of the wheels for my car on Tirerack use rings.

Yes, most aftermarket rims will have rather large center bores so that they can fit a variety of different cars with the application of specific hub rings for your particular car.

Russell, e39 wheels will require a hubcentric ring since the e34 has a 72.5mm hub center diameter vs. 74mm for the e39. I've heard of some folks having problems with rings and also others who haven't--luck of the draw.

A better option may be to find a good set of 16" e38 wheels. They're readily available at reasonable cost. The only issue is you may need spacers if your car is lowered--to keep the tires from rubbing against the struts.

Yep, Knew about the rings. Also been looking for e38 wheels as well. rather find some local so I can view and avoid shipping. not probable though.

Russell, I'm not sure about the e34, but the latest e60's do not like aftermarket wheels - people have been getting strange vibrations which they cannot cure, and only go away with genuine OEM wheels. IMO, definitely look into OEM wheels if possible.
btw, nice car
thumbsup.gif
May I ask what color?

Thanks, it is Oxford Green with Pergment/Parchment interior. Love it. Trying to keep it as close to 100% as possible. Has preminum package, wood and full leather, OBC etc. Heated seats and lumbar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back