oil splash pan/guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
1992 Galant with years of ticking...

the ticking was the oil splash shield attached (riveted) to the inside of the valve cover was hitting two of the lifters. You could shake the valve cover and hear it rattle. Since there’s no way to tighten or remove the splash guard, I used a flat punch to dent it in….NO MORE TICK! Can I just remove this or will it keep the oil from being splashed onto the cam/lifters like it should?

Your lifters should get oil from below and the bores surrounding them. And your cam should get plenty too. If you're concerned about splashing taking a different path with that shield not in place, lose the valve cover, put tinfoil over the exhaust, and run the car for 5-10 seconds. You should see geysers of oil shooting out of the head-- at least a few percent will bounce where it's needed no matter the shape of the cam cover.

More likely that shield is there if you open the oil cap with the car running, you won't get it in the eye. If you accellerate and corner briskly, it won't get sucked up by the PCV valve. And if the shield covers the valve cover gasket area, you don't have as direct erosion of the gasket by hot oil. My dodge 2.5s had that shield but my saturns don't... both OHC cars.

I would at least try to retain that shield somehow but not cry if it's gone.

Quote:

Your lifters should get oil from below and the bores surrounding them. And your cam should get plenty too. If you're concerned about splashing taking a different path with that shield not in place, lose the valve cover, put tinfoil over the exhaust, and run the car for 5-10 seconds. You should see geysers of oil shooting out of the head-- at least a few percent will bounce where it's needed no matter the shape of the cam cover.

More likely that shield is there if you open the oil cap with the car running, you won't get it in the eye. If you accellerate and corner briskly, it won't get sucked up by the PCV valve. And if the shield covers the valve cover gasket area, you don't have as direct erosion of the gasket by hot oil. My dodge 2.5s had that shield but my saturns don't... both OHC cars.

I would at least try to retain that shield somehow but not cry if it's gone.

that thing definitely isn't there to keep you from getting soaked if you take the oil cap off, WOW, never seen an engine spray like that...

anyone else? I'm sure i can use my rotary tool to pop it off....sounds like the ticking is coming back, same tick, must be getting looser....
then again, right now I'm driving around with a bolt in my manifold instead of an O2 sensor....

I would try and leave that part in there. It is probably for separating the oil/vapor from getting blown into the PCV system. It is a baffle/separator/shield.

upon start up this morning, i hear a slight tick coming back, same exact tick, so i know it's the splash guard.

looked on Rockauto, nada.
might try to cut the part over the lifters....leaving the part over the PCV.

Quote:

7 And if the shield covers the valve cover gasket area, you don't have as direct erosion of the gasket by hot oil. My dodge 2.5s had that shield but my saturns don't... both OHC cars.

thanks....the shield is at the very top of the valve cover and provides only about 1/4-1/3 of an inch spacing between the inside of the cover and valve train area...

and you can actually see the lifter arms through the cap, so it's not designed like other cars (like my 1990 Dodge Shadow was) to prevent oil from being tossed in your eye...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back