Clunking/Popping sound coming from rear '97 Expy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need advice before taking it to the shop. Vehicle is a '97 Expedition 4.6L 4x2 with 128k miles. When I make semi-to-sharp RIGHT TURNS ONLY at slow speeds, there is a loud clunking/popping sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. It is too hard to tell which side it is coming from.

This noise only happens at slow speeds, and ONLY when turning right. I have completely inspected everything under the vehicle. Nothing is out of place or broken as far as I can tell.

I'm thinking it may be:
1) Splines worn out on right side axle shaft
2) Something screwy inside the rear differential
3) Universal joint issues?
4) Some weird rear brake problem (doubtfull)

There are no other noises coming from the rear of the vehicle at highway speed. No grinding, whining, or anything like that. As long as I'm driving straight or turning left, it's as quiet as a church mouse. This is strickly a slow-speed, right-turn problem.

What do you guys think it is?

Does it have a posi rear end? The one in my 03 Explorer went out. Sounded like this. They had to replace the clutch packs.

Look on the door sticker and find the axle code. If there is a letter in the axle code, it has a limited slip. Non limited slip axle codes just have numbers.

Suggest checking shock mounts and anti-sway bar bushings & attachments.

A clunk can sometimes be caused by spring rebounding against a worn shock, but this would not be side sensitive. If this is the case, driving over a short, sharp-edge drop will cause a loud, audible slam as the undamped spring pushes the tire down very hard and fast.

good luck

I finally put the Expedition in the shop for the clunk/pop noise. The shop has diagnosed a bad universal joint, as well as a couple of other unrelated things that I knew needed work, but haven't taken the time to fix.

I should have it back tomorrow. I guess these types of things are to be expected as vehicles start to get older & rack up the miles. Still cheaper for now to fix these minor problems, than to spend $25-40K for a new SUV for the little woman.

I got the Expedition back on Wednesday evening. The problem was, in fact, a bad universal joint. The new universal joint solved the problem.

Since I also had the shop inspect everything inside the rear differential, on reinstallation I had them use a FelPro differential cover gasket, instead of the RTV silicone that Ford's differential supplier uses on the assembly line. The gasket creates a much better seal, IMO.

Best thing(s) about this whole ordeal: The shop I use (Rousseau's Auto Repair in Scottsboro, AL) is full of knowledgeable mechanics, HONEST PEOPLE, and since it is in a small town, their prices are incredibly low compared to what shops in nearby Huntsville charge. Win-Win for me.
smile.gif

punisher,

I had the rear wheel seals replaced & the diff. oil replaced two years ago this July. The shop that did the work used an RTV silicone type stuff for the "gasket". It leaked. That's why I said I trust a real gasket more than the RTV silicone type gasket maker stuff. The real gasket may leak, too. I'll just have to wait and see.

A properly done RTV seal is more reliable than a gasket seal IMHO. Using permatex ultra black, cleaning with acetone, with proper application and torquing, I've never had a leak.

Glad to hear that you got it fixed.

I agree. Chrysler uses the orange permatex at the factory and when I changed my rear end oil I used the same. No leaks, but you have to make sure everything is perfectly clean. IMO the RTV works better, but the victor gasket does make it easier and quicker to change your oil in the rear.

Permatex is the best IF its clean, torqued correctly, and is allowed proper time to set up and dry(this is the most common prob).

To answer Papa Bear, neither the shop nor I could come up with any good reason why the UJ only made the popping noise when turning the vehicle right. Definitely doesn't make sense to me, but then again, most things don't make sense to me.
wink.gif

I stand corrected on my assertion that a gasket makes a better seal than an RTV, Permatex, etc.

I still like the fact that the gasket makes the job of changing the differential oil a little bit quicker/easier. It's a moot point really, though, since I'll likely never change the differential oil again for the life of the vehicle.

Quote:

What differential oil did they install?

AFAIK, 75w140 synthetic per my instructions. I don't know what brand they used, as I didn't feel like asking any questions when I picked the vehicle up. I told the shop owner when I dropped off the Expedition that they could use either Motorcraft or WalMart SuperTech gear oil, as long as it was 75w140 synthetic. He made a note on the service ticket stating that 75w140 synthetic gear oil was to be used. All I know is the ticket says they charged me $40 for gear oil, and it takes nearly 3 qt's to fill the differential. So, at that price ($13.33/qt.), did they really use 75w140, as I specified?
dunno.gif
Probably not. Even if they used Plain-Jane 80w90 dino gear oil, I don't suspect anything catastrophic is going to happen in this grocery getter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back