Oldest VW Diesel Contest and 2008 TDI Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope this isn't a duplicate posting - I did use the search engine . If you know somebody .........Link disabled on purpose - add http/etc .

From the current online Car&Driver .

Incidentally, to celebrate thirty years of selling diesels in the U.S. Volkswagen is searching for both the oldest and the highest-mileage diesel VWs still running their original engines. If you think your car could be a contender for one (or both) honors, go to www.vw.com starting March 1 to enter your car. VW is expecting at least one to be a 1977 Rabbit diesel. We know a guy who ran one at the 24 Hours of LeMons in October….
caranddriver.com/previews/12424/first-drive-2008-volkswagen-jetta-tdi-more-driving-impressions-page2.html

there are still plenty of 77 w123 mb diesels out there - many older ones too!

I see no reason why there wouldnt be lots of old vws too..

JMH

when you ever really see a pre 80 w123 besides a junkyard?

ive owned 2 w123's (5 cyl turbo automatic and a 4 cyl 4 speed manual) but ive never even seen one earlier than 80 besides junkyard ones which are all rusted out and have plants growing in the inside and through rust holes.

yep, over at the mercedesshop.com and mbz.org communities, there are folks that drive pre-1980 MB diesels all the time. They are also for sale (generally 1-3 at any time) on ebay.

I saw a really nice 78 in a used car lot not far away, but onme door turned out to have a rust spot. I caught up with a guy at a truckstop with a new looking (but original paint) 77, with only 190k miles!!

I also saw a guy at a fuel stop in TX with an older SD - the one with the double round lights... forget the year but pre-1980. They are definitely still around and kicking!

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back