Amsoil XLM 5w20, 04 Accord 2.4L 158,878 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've posted UOA's on this car several times, as frequent visitors to this forum might recall. This car belongs to a buddy of mine who is in sales, and travels about 1,000 miles/week. He will retire the car late this year with approx 200K on it. So far, it's been an amazing automobile.

Here are the results from Blackstone. This run has 9,409 miles; total miles on the car at this change were 158,878. Oil Filter was Amsoil EoA. Air filter was OEM Honda.
TBN was 2.3. The car still uses zero, and I mean zero oil, which I'm sure some will find hard to believe. LC was used - 6oz at change, and 4 oz or so during the run. Terry Dyson has seen the past two analysis for the car & is helping to fine tune the UOA.

Current / Blkstn Universal Avg

Alum 2/3
Chromium 0/1
Iron 4/8
Copper 0/3
Lead 0/1
Tin 0/0
Moly 39/82
Nickel 0/0
Manganese 0/2
Silver 0/0
Titanium 0/0
Potassium 0/1
Boron 139/67
Silicon 11/11
Sodium 24/16
Calcium 2241/2366
Magnesium 9/63
Phosphorus 662/712
Zinc 798/847
Barium 0/0

Viscosity s/b 46-59
actual: 52.3

Flashpoint s/b >355
Actual 390

Water: zero

Insolubles s/b Actual 0.3

Any comments, Amsoil or Honda fans?

It doesn't get much better than this folks! A stellar report, without a doubt. Even pushing it beyond the rated 7500 miles, the TBN is still hanging in there above 2.

It's too bad he's retiring this car, it would be nice to see just how far it would go! (probably 500k plus)

The XLM has done a great job. Guess I should have added, I think we'll try Amsoil's new 0w20 next time, just to see the results.
Steve

The Amsoil XLM was tested to go past the 10,000 miles Honda drain intervals, so I wouldn't see any reason why 10,000+ miles is not possible. Has he had a UOA with the same oil, but without the LC?

Give the 0w-20 a try, without the LC, and see how it does for 10,000 miles. I wouldn't be surprised if you could go 15,000+ with it.

Quote:

The car still uses zero, and I mean zero oil, which I'm sure some will find hard to believe

Do you know how fast he drives? Reason I ask is bc I have the exact same engine but my car uses 1/2qt ever 4-5k miles. (80mph+ daily for 80 miles).

This is a very low wearing engine and I've seen reports this good using any SM dino oil. The Amsoil is a great oil no doubt, but in this particular case, it's more of the engine than anything. IMO.

Buster, he covers from Maine to Mass, and I know he sees freeway speeds of 70-80mph frequently.
On the Mass turnpike, if you don't run that speed you get ran over.

I must not have broken in my car good enough then.
dunno.gif

Steve, the Amsoil 0w-20 or Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-20 would work well.

Last edited:
Quote:

I must not have broken in my car good enough then.
dunno.gif

I honestly don't think that the way you break your engine in makes any difference either way. In other words, if you took that exact same engine, and treated it the opposite of what you did this time around, it would probably still use the same amount of oil. By the time you got your new car, your piston rings were already seated.

It might be a different story if you got an engine rebuilt and you were the very first person to fire it up. But with a new factory built engine, by the time it gets to you that engine has been started and shut off a few dozen times.

True pat. Could just be the way I drive. Anyway, enough about my car, I'm looking forward to the Amsoil 0w-20 UOA.

The reason for getting out of the car this year has to do with the way his company reimburses for business vehicle expense. They use Runzheimer Internatinal. I must confess to not knowing much about the program - some of you guys that travel for a living might know more about this program than I. When he bought the car he had to choose a 3 year or a 4 year plan. He chose 4 yrs, and in November or December of this year, 2007 - his time is up.

With his type of driving - meaning 90% highway, I have no doubts at all that this generation of Honda engine would easily go 400K or better.

This is also one of the LOWEST wearing 4 cylinder engines out there. I bought my car based on the oil analysis results we see here. The V6 Honda engine isn't as good on a wear/displacement basis.

so when he "retires" the car, who is getting it? Why won't he get a saab and try to get a free car after he hits the million mile mark.
smile.gif

Because it is his car - he owns it. Just the reimbursement arrangement is through the company. Though from what I've seen, these engines do well on dino as well. I'm the one who steered him to synthetic in the beginning, mostly based on our harsh climate in the northeast for many months per year.

I think the new Amsoil 0w-20/ASM would be perfect for this motor and it will give you the best performance overall in terms of fuel efficiency and long service intervals.

TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back