Switching Between Oils - Good or Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am partially asking this question for my dad, but I would also like to know what you think.

Does it make a difference if you "brand hop" with engine oil? My dad was always picky in the past with staying consistent with oil types and when he became less picky his last two cars have become oil burners.

When I purchased the Mobil Clean 5000 for my 22RE 4Runner engine I was planning to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic after break in and figured that staying with the same brand might minimized any chance of oil additives conflicting during the swap.

Whatever synthetic I run in the Speed 3 I will run in the 4Runner to keep my oil stock in the garage to a minimum.

Is there any reason to even consider this? It seems that sticking long term with any quality oil should be better than mixing and matching all the time.

I don't plan to do any oil analysis, I want to just pick a quality synthetic and go with it.

No problems.
approved.gif

If it was, I'd be the FIRST one to know!
laugh.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

Motor oils are compatable.

It seems that the majority of people on this site seem to agree that swapping isn't a problem. Can I assume that it is nearly impossible to end up with a poor mix of additives?

This is different, but I know not to added a high mileage additive to a high mileage oil, or at least there is a warning on the bottle.

Is there any advantage with sticking with a single oil as much as possible?

Quote:

Is there any advantage with sticking with a single oil as much as possible?

Well, if you find something that works well in your engine and can get a good deal on the oil, that would be an advantage.

I have found that most any oil I've run gets excellent results in my engines so I run what I can buy on sale.

Pennzoil, Castrol GTX, Chevron and Qs all do well in my UOAs.
thumbsup.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

I don't think changing name brands creates oil burning either. But I do think it could lead to increased oil consumption - should you extend your OCIs too long & use a boatload of brands in a relatively short period.

It's possible that if you "hypothetically" did 3K OCI's using nine different brands consecutively for the next 27K, that it's feaseable to say that near the end of that 27K run, you will have traces of 4-5 different oil brands in your used oil.... who knows? -- maybe even more than 4-5.

That drastic of a combination could possibly increase consumption - even though all nine brands are compatable. I'm speculating/opinionating here - not having any proof whatsoever on this. So if anything, you may now be scratching your head - more than prior to my arrival here.
laugh.gif

The only reason to stick with a brand is if it is giving you good results and you are getting a good deal. I like to stock up on a few oil changes of one kind and when I see a good deal I buy it whatever brand it is so long as it meets the specifications I am looking for.

For doing UOA's and trending there is an advantage in sticking with one brand for a while to limit the variables in reading the UOA. It isn't all that important in the big scheme if UOA's are done primarily as a PM tool to see problems before they become major and you use a good interpretation service.

Could it also be possible that you help the engine by switching? The high mileage helps recondition the seals, the next brand helps with consumption, the next helps with the cold weather?

As far as I know... companies are changing their formulae all the time. Even if you are brand/viscosity loyal, it's not gonna be the same oil for the life of the car.

Quote:

Quote:

Motor oils are compatable.

It seems that the majority of people on this site seem to agree that swapping isn't a problem. Can I assume that it is nearly impossible to end up with a poor mix of additives?

Well, now you sound like you're talking about blending different brands. I don't necessarily know about "poor" ...but I imagine that the wide variety of additives that are in some brands ..not in others ..you could end up with less than ideal amounts of both in one batch. It probably doesn't amount to much in regard to the next rising of the sun
dunno.gif

I've experience transitional consumption when switching from a PAO to a Group III (XHVI) oil in one of my engines. This appears to be rare.

My Altima has 128k miles on it and the oil's brand has been switched more times than I can count, along with the viscosity between 10W30 (for summers) and 5W30 for all season, and it doesn't burn any oil at all. My Integra's always used 5W30 as far as I know, and it's also had it's oil's brand switched a number of times, and it doesn't burn oil either.

I'd say it would be fair, but keep in mind that some cars take better to different kinds of oils better. I noticed a lot more engine noise with Valvoline in my Altima before I switched it to Quaker State, but that could just be my imagination.

The shelf life of motor oil kept in a heated room in a sealed container is at least 5 years. So, when I see a brand I like go on sale...I will stock up on at least 3 years worth. I do this for all my vehicles & motorcycles. It's just easier to clean out a store chain when they have the big close outs or BOGO sales than letting the oil department manager at Walmart determine what you are going to use. You can also save a bundle on oil filters at the filter sponsor for this site www.fleetfilter.com if you buy a box of 12. It's just easier to go to my basement and get my parts & oil instead of driving to 3 stores because they are out of my brand. Lots of guys switch to Amsoil for this reason.

In the good old days switching brands could have meant going from an additive pack that had poor detergency/dispersency to a superior one. This often released lots of crud, ruining the rings and other things. Today thats not likely at all. Right or wrong old knowledge dies hard.

Rickey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back