What I did to the new car yesterday..

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 1200 miles, changed out the factory fill and also put on a Fumoto valve since I could not find a sure drain to fit.

They do stick out quite a bit over a suredrain..
frown.gif

Also here is what the filter looks like from below. It looks harder than it is. No oil spills on the headers.

Putting fresh oil in;
thumbsup.gif

And what came out;

Overall on scale of 1-10 to change oil, I'd rate it a 4. The large drain plug makes most of its 4.5 quarts comeout within 30 secs. The valve will help here to keep the splashing down.

I'm still wishing I got a sure drain for it.. Oh well.
dunno.gif

I am going to get a UOA to see whats in there and start a baseline.

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Notice how the Pennzoil bottle and funnel compliment the other filler caps
laugh.gif

That last pic looks like my glass of Guinness.

But seriously, that Fumoto valve really does stick out.
It's not too far, but I'd still be concerned about it taking a hit from road debris.

Nice pics. Was thinking about installing a Fumoto valve on my tC, but I'm a bit worried about it sticking too far out.

Still debating.

Bill, is this Subaru going to be your new commuter vehicle? Or will your Corolla continue to get the miles piled on it? It will be interesting to see how this one wears compared to your Toyota, b/c these Subie's are known to generate really low wear......

Quote:

Bill, is this Subaru going to be your new commuter vehicle? Or will your Corolla continue to get the miles piled on it? It will be interesting to see how this one wears compared to your Toyota, b/c these Subie's are known to generate really low wear......

Wifes car.
cool.gif

So, I'd say if it sees 15k a year that would be max.

Before, we had the truck and it was driven mostly around town and once here and there to work.

This car she drives all the time (twice a week to work 15 mi one way) and for vacations.

So the Corolla is continued on commuter duty.
driving.gif

My last UOA for it I just posted. 5,800 miles on Castrol GTX and almost a solid month of below freezing temps both day and night... Also paid the $$ for a TBN on it.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

I did see your UOA...impressive stuff! I'm impressed with the newer GTX products....even 10W-40 comes with the 'sludge control' formula!

I took another photo with the car on all 4 tires. Before the photos were with the car on the ramps on the front.

I tried to take it more level so you can see the drain valve. (Remember that this car has all most 9 inches of ground clearance!)

Do you guys still think its risky?
confused.gif

Thanks, bill
patriot.gif

Bill, I think its fine.

Fumoto has been around for quite some time, I have yet to see people yelling about oil leaking out of their cars when a rock hits it.

Rock on!

If a rock hits hard enough to rip off the Fumato it could just as easily hit the oilpan and tear a knarly hole in it. I don't think you have effectively reduced your clearance at all.

Quote:

If a rock hits hard enough to rip off the Fumato it could just as easily hit the oilpan and tear a knarly hole in it. I don't think you have effectively reduced your clearance at all.

I was thinking the same thing. If someting hits hard enough to damage the valve, Bill's got bigger problems to worry about
wink.gif

Nice pics Bill!

I'll be interested to see how the sub holds up on 5w30 pennzoil.

I have the 07 impreza but the oil filter location is pretty much the same. I always manage to spill some oil over the manifold and it smells like #@$%! for a few days.

Thanks guys for the comments on the valve.
cheers.gif

I like the sure drain better because you can drain directly to a jug and its much cleaner.

The "floor" is dirty because its a piece of cardboard.
grin.gif

I get the large sheets from my local sams club and keep them under the cars when changing oil. The subarus plug is so large that it splashed all over the place.

I'm glad for the drain since it will direct the flow better. Not as good as a sure drain, but better than nothing.

Also the sure drain is shorter so it does not hang down as much.

The oil filter on this outback is up there but I did not spill a single drop on the manafolds.

The car will do well on the Pennzoil. I had to use some of my newer SM stash since the manual states only SM may be used.

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Off topic on the valve.

On the subie after some miles you should monitor the oil leaks at the timing belt cover area. Subies seem to harden the seals much quicker than most cars I find. Perhaps oil selection or just how the operating temps or something. I've done 2 crank seals so far recently with aprox 100,000km's (timing belt intervals.)They were rock hard and crumbled.

The 5 wires seems to screw up occasionally too. So if you have idling issues and almost stalling situations thats a potential problem.

Theres an oil filter wrench that you can purchase for that tight spot. You can put a 3/8 extension and the spring/2 piece clamp wrench works awesome (USA made) heres an example.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IHJX58/ref=...mp;linkCode=asn

works awesome in stupid small, hard to access areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back